How to Stimulate a 6 Month Old- Need Activities

Hi, I am lucky to be a new stay at home mother for my gorgeous 6 month old son. Howwever, I am starting to come to a point where I don't know exactly how to best fill up his/ our day. When he isn't napping or nursing seems like I have him in the exersaucer a heck of a lot these days! He loves it and goes crazy for at least 30 minutes each time- but it's got to get boring after a while for him- I'd think! Other than that I read him 2 books before bedtime and each nap time- so he gets a minimum of 6 books per day. We spread a blanket out in the living room floor and I sprinkle it with toys and he rolls around for about 15-20 minutes before he's had enough- and we walk occasionally... What else can we do- what else did you do with your smart, well adjusted, sweet babies when they were 6 months old?? What do you think about mom's clubs or Gymboree?? Is he too young?

MOM's Clubs, Gymboree, Treble-Makers. All good things... but be careful in the cold/flu season b/c things get passed around. Bring hand sanitizer, wipes and wash hands often. Frankly, at this age the best stimulation will come from you and other family members... it's great for bonding. We had a lot of educational type toys (ABC's, 123's, Spanish things etc.) that we would use inter-actively. When I needed time to get things done, the Baby Einstein videos are GREAT! I didn't want my kids to be TV junkies -- but sometimes you need a shower!

Be prepared for them to go through a change like this every 6 mos, where they get bored and frustrated easily. It can be hard to deal with, but it is exciting too b/c it means they are on the cusp of a big development push. You also might consider day trips like Aquarium's, Parks, Zoos etc. It gets you out of the house and they LOVE it. THere is a great book out there called Baby's Day Out for the LA/OC/VC area. Gives you all kinds of great ideas.

I believe in exposing my kids to as many opportunites as I can. Not only does it help mental and physical development, but it also makes it easier for them to adjust to new situations where ever we go.

Hi! I have a 2 1/2 year old and remember 6 month wonders! He enjoyed toys and the exercauser too, but needed more. We did a lot of books, worked with letters and numbers, played with shape toys, and toys that talked and taught. We played with them together, and now he is on the verge of reading, can count, and knows all his numbers, letters, shapes, and colors! Get "smart" toys; don't underestimate the power of baby shows and Baby Einstein videos. We like "Word World."
Also, Moms Clubs are awesome for moms with any age kids. It's not for the kids but the moms. I am in MOMS Club International and I love it! I have so many friends, and my son is making friends! Google MOMS Club International for a group near you. I'm in HB South.
Hope this all helps!

Don't pressure yourself by thinking that you HAVE TO entertain his every waking moment. When he gets older, and more mobile and a toddler, still, don't feel pressured. Kids also need to learn that they "can" entertain themselves. It's all part of development.

Sometimes, just doing "nothing" is great. It gives them the opportunity to have an independent moment. Which is an event for them too and they need un-structured play time too. It's all part of their learning.

Even having a bath is an activity for a baby. He's only 6 months old. Many times, the best way for them to "learn" is to just put them down among their toys or not, and simply let them entertain themselves. Babies learn LOTS this way too. Don't worry. They NEED to explore their world on their own too, without constant intervention. Let him figure things out on his own, let him learn cause and effect on his own, let him touch and feel things. Of course be next to him, but don't feel you have to always stimulate him. Babies are great at doing this on their own too. They need this. They will learn with Anything in their environment, toys or not. Even a simple Kleenex box will entertain them, or a toilet paper roll with toilet paper on it... let him unravel it. Anything is a potential "learning" event and toy.

Give him crayons too. My firstborn was holding a crayon and scribbling at 7 months of age. She had great fine motor skills even at this age already. Experiment. Give him paper and finger-paints and let him try it. Let him make a mess. It's okay. This is how they learn too. I did this with both my kids as babies, and they loved it.

Teach him about "smell." From this age when my kids were babies... I'd show them various spices in the kitchen, and I'd hold the bottle, let them smell it and it was a "sensory" event for them. Then I'd take them in the garden, and let them smell flowers, herbs I grew, leaves, grass, dirt, etc. They really loved this.

"Teach" him about music... put on different kinds of music, and while carrying him, dance away! It will teach him how to "feel" the beat... entertain his senses, and about movement too. It is also a great way to bond, and just have fun.... and exercise too! *oh, and sing to him too! Especially rhyming songs.... they will pick it up and it's great to sing and incorporate music into their lives.

Lie down on your back, put him on top of you, (safely) and while holding him, do sit-ups! There's lots of exercises you can do WITH baby. Use your baby as a "weight" when you do resistance exercises.... or hold him against you, and do squats. All of these things are activities for both of you.

"Teach" him about facial expressions... make funny faces and sounds and then say "happy", "sad", "grumpy" etc. Sure, they can't say it themselves yet, or understand it completely...but, it's about teaching them concepts. And,if you keep it up and teach them it consistently.... as they get older, you will see their level of articulation and "understanding" develop. I began this when my kids were just babies... and before I knew it, they really gained an understanding about "feelings" and what different expressions meant, and it contributed to their development and way of expressing themselves as well. My girl, was very articulate for her age, and things like this all contribute to their "understanding" of their world. Never underestimate a baby's ability... they are sponges, and are storing things in their brain.

Or, get audio tapes or DVD's for babies, which are in other languages. Teaching a baby/child other languages develops their synapses and brain connections differently than in single-language babies/children. You don't have to have your baby literally SIT in front of the t.v., just play it in the background, and they absorb it. My children are bi-lingual....both of them, from before they were even 1 years old, were completely fluent in my Husband's native language of French. They understood both languages more than even I could.
It's amazing what babies CAN and do learn. My daughter now loves to learn languages and about different cultures....she's learned some spanish, japanese, and hawaiian too. I think it gives them a great exposure and "appreciation" of different things and a well rounded base... even as they get much older. And no, letting my children learn different languages did NOT hinder their speaking ability or ability to understand English, their first language. It did not confuse them either.

In the bathtub, put things in it that can get messy... bath paints, sponges, toys, and let him go at it. Then after, you just wash the tub down. Fun and easy.

Both my babies were advanced for their ages as well... sometimes you just have to let THEM lead you... and see where it takes you. They will surprise you. Instead of saying "no no" to things they touch... let them touch it. Supervise of course so they won't get hurt... but let them explore.

Another fun thing to do is: crinkle up all your old newspapers, put it in a huge pile in a corner of your room or in a BIG box...."hide" some toys amongst the crumpled newspapers, and then let him tear into it and explore and make a mess and let him "find" the hidden toys! My kids love this still, and they are 5 years old and 20 months old now.

Teach him baby sign language too. It is never to early to start. It will help him to learn to communicate, and is very helpful for them and us.

Teach him peek-a-boo games. Or, hide an object under a cup... then put nothing under another cup, and let him "pick" which one the object is "hiding" under. My daughter at this age, loved this game. She understood and found it fun. It teaches them skills & concepts at the same time.

Do shape sorters too. Sure, it's something that takes practice, but never underestimate them.... they will find it fun. They don't have to get it correct, but it's simply exposing them to "concepts." Give him stacking things too, show him how. In time, he will surprise and stack things too.

Introduce all kinds of things and concepts. Also give hima ball... roll it around. Babies love this too.

All the best, your'e doing great. No worries. Babies are entertained with anything...even if you put them down for a moment to wash the dishes, they are fine at knowing how to play. These are just some things I've done with my babies.

Good luck, hope this helps,
~Susan

looks like you have plenty. Something you may want to consider, is don't let your baby become dependant on you to have fun. He can come up with ideas on his own. If he is happy in the exasaucer, leave him in. Don't worry so much about trying to schedule things in for him. If you do, you will regret it when he is older and expects you to schedule things for him. When he is on the floor get him to work on sitting un-assited, when he is able to do that a whole new world opens up to him! From there he will learn to crawl, then you don't need to have any activities, he will make his own. Don't let your baby control you, you were here first, let him adapt to your routine, not the opposite. No fun having a kid who wont play with other kids because thats not the way mommy does it.

We LOVE Gymboree. I started going there w/ my son at 10 months and wish we'd gone earlier. You can do a free preview, so go and check it out! I enjoy being around other mothers as much as he enjoys the class.

I recommend doing what you like to do and making it fun for him. That way you both get enjoyment out of it and it's somewhat rejuvenating for you.

He is not too your for the park!!! A toddler park with an infant swing would be great. Get into any club you can! Google your city for Mommy clubs and see if you have a local "MOPS" group. I have a 23 month old and a 10 month old and MOPS has been a wonderful place for me to meet new Mothers and get some support.

6 months old.....blocks/shapes/rings/musical toys/play drums/LOTS OF TUMMY TIME!

Enjoy,
H.

hi J., Here's some ideas, Keep your baby happy,
first of all tummy time,your baby probably slept on his back most of the night, so about 15 minutes of tummy time after breakfast, put him onhis tummy on a blanket with a few toys and play with him for a little while, he will gain neck strainght and getting used to be on his tummy will help him learn to crawl. Then have some close time with your baby take him along in a front carrier whle you pick up around the house or talk on the phone. the constant motion and change in scenery will entertain him, but talk to him as much as possible too. Then you can give your baby some exploring time
use an activity saucer for about 30 minutes to encourage leg movement and curious play. toys that have different textures and sounds will help him begin to understand cause and effect. Then nap time, this is your time for me time, or what ever you need to do or like to do. After nap time take a walk, put your baby in a stroller and go for a walk, this is a good time to get some fresh air and exercise, as yoy walk talk about what you see, i know that probably sounds silly, but the more you talk, the more he will learn. After your walk put your baby in the high chair and give him a baby book, cloth one alwas is good,while you make lunch, or wash dishes. After that give your baby solo play, put on som music
while he spends som time in his play pen with a few of his toys. learnig to amuse himsef is a crucial skill-and knowing he is safe, you can get dinner made or do something else that needs to get done, aound 7 or 8 PM have some wind down time put your baby on an activity mat to take `advantage of the last burst of energy befor bed time. these are just ideas
and know you do not have to entertain your baby 24/7 Hope it's not tmi just wanted to give you some ideas. J. mom for 24 years. J.

I don't know what your finances are like, but when I started staying home with my baby, our finances were pretty limited and I had to get creative. Those classes (Gymboree, Kindermusik, Music Together, etc.) are fantastic but expensive -- and NOT NECESSARY. Don't get it into your head that those are the only way you can provide your child with enough stimulation. I have done some of them with my child, certainly, but have avoided buying into the notion that you need to keep up with the program or your child is somehow missing out. Rubbish. What's really invaluable about taking the baby to a class is that you learn new ways to work with him at home. We took a Music Together class and I learned so many songs and ways to work on music with my daughter that I didn't feel it was strictly necessary to sign up for more classes, although I would have loved to.

Some less expensive tips:

1. Check your local community college, continuing or adult ed, and recreation department for inexpensive classes. Depending on the community, there can be a wide range of options. I'm in Ventura County now, but when I was in Santa Barbara we took some classes for parents and toddlers (I think they have some for babies too) for $10 each! One was yoga, the other was a crafts and activities class, they were each 8 sessions for only $10 total! That was through SBCC Adult Ed, but every community is different. Here in Camarillo most courses seem to be offered through the rec dept. and I haven't found any that are quite as cheap, but they're still affordable.

2. Do story time at the local library. Great way to expose your child to reading and books and also meet other parents.

3. Take your baby to a different park each week. He might be too young to really enjoy the playgrounds just yet, but you can start discovering which ones you really like.

4. See if there are any inexpensive museums. Some museums, for instance the Museum of Natural History in SB, have a free day once a month. Good for you and good early exposure/sensory experience for the baby.

5. One of my favorite outings is the Farmer's Market. You can start doing it now, but it's most fun when your child is big enough to sample all the fruits. Fun, fun, fun for them...and also a great way to encourage healthy eating!

Remember that at this age, the best stimulation for your baby comes from you. So in a lot of ways it's more about you getting out of the house and keeping yourself engaged and refreshed so you can keep up with him and also not be pulling out your own hair from boredom. So find activities that interest you that happen to be baby-friendly. Your baby is going to be happy if you're happy, and he'll love just hanging out with you and going places with you and seeing the world. Use your creativity and you will only get better and better at coming up with ideas. Yes, let him have the floor time and lots of time to himself when you're home, but get out of the house and enjoy yourself. This time is so precious. Just enjoy each other's company and don't get caught up in "doing all the right things" because you're already doing a great job!

Looks like you already have a good schedule going for your son. I wouldn't add too much more so as to not overwhelm your little one. Still, a music class might be the thing you're looking for. There are 2 companies: Music Together and Kindermusik that offer classes to young babies. Continue reading to your baby- it's the best thing you can do!

Have fun together!

Take Care,
F.

1 / 3