How to Start Running.....

I have always thought I would enjoy a jog or going for a run but have never done it. I used to belong to gyms, biked and did classes but never running. I have not done much at all for the last 5 years (since we had children). Like most moms, all of my free time seems consumed by work, cooking, cleaning and our beautiful children. I would really like to get back in shape. I want to feel healthy and strong like I used to. My question is - how do I get started? Do I just get up an hour earlier, hop out of bed and head out? is there a better way to do it? Walk first then run? How much time do I need to warm up? Should I stretch first? What about cool down and stretching after? Does the shoe matter? What kind is best? I dont want to spend a fortune on shoes but I understand the importance of the right equipment. :-) thank you for your help!

Runners World has lots of training tips:

http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/0,,s6-238-0-0-0,00.html

Also you can try something like couch to 5k:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Another vote for the Cool Running couch-to-5k program! It's excellent for beginners. With this program, you won't need to worry about warming up much since you usually begin with a 5 minute walk before you do any running for the entire program.

Stretching - do a google search on 'dynamic stretching'. These are the types of things you want to be doing for your body prior to your walk/run. Static stretching (the old-school stuff you learned in gym) is better for after you've completed your workout.

Shoes - I am not sure what's out there in Plainfield, but if you can get to a running store do it! New Balance stores are good and their staff is knowledgeable about foot strike patterns (how your foot hits the pavement when you run) and appropriate footwear. Runner's Edge in Wilmette (unfortunately probably a hike for you) is an outstanding store.

Asics (brand of shoe) has a great online guide:
http://www.asicsamerica.com/sports/running/shoeFitGuide.aspx

Avoid mall stores like Foot Locker or Champs UNLESS you know exactly what type of shoe you need to buy. The people who work there are typically clueless teenagers and really, do you want to trust your feet to someone who is mainly interested in fashion and not form?

I was running 25+ miles a week before I got pregnant last year and had to stop everything completely. Had the baby in December and started running again in April. Since I was starting from scratch, I did the couch-to-5k and really liked it. I have now finished the program and am running 3 miles 4-6 days a week with my goal of doing the Palos Half Marathon in May. If you're a true beginner, only do the program three days a week with one day of 'rest' in between. You can cross train on those rest days: walk, elliptical, bike, etc. The first few weeks of c-2-5k are fairly easy and then week 3 or 4 comes along and wallops you - don't get discouraged! Just keep pushing through.

Good luck and feel free to msg me with other questions, if you want support, etc. I love to see new moms join the running movement - you'll feel great AND you'll be an awesome, healthy role model for your children.

Good for you! I just started running, also. I'm doing the Couch to 5K program and loving every minute of it. I just finished Week 3 Day 3 tonight. I get to start Week 4 on Sunday. That means I only have 6 weeks left :)

You have to run when timing is best for you. I wait until my husband gets home. We eat dinner, play, bathe kids, put them down. Somewhere between 7 and 8 I head out to the middle school track (just my preference) and run. I go every other day. If I know I will be doing something on the evening of my scheduled run then I go that morning. It is so hot here so daytime running is out of the question.

There are different podcasts you can download to your Mp3 player that will tell you when to run/ walk instead of timing yourself.

Check out Coolrunning.com for info on the program and C25K for a great forum

Good luck and if you decide to try C25K please PM me if you would like an accountability partner.

Most important thing to start....pick a day to start and stick with it. After that pick a schedule and stick with it. Most afternoons I feel like I don't want to run, but once I get out there it's great

stretching is very important, or you will wind up with a pulled muscle. especially if you aren't already running. When I was in the military they had us warm up by stretching Some of the most common ones are to bend your knee, hold one foot behind count to 10. do 3-5 times each side... put foot flat on ground, other foot a couple feet ahead and bend at the knee so back leg stretches... again hold 10 seconds and repeat for each leg. do the "butterfly" stretch~ sitting down, put feet flat against each other so your knees are bent and off to the side... pull your feet towards your crotch until you feel a good stretch, use your elbows to push on your knees a bit and lean forward (stay in your comfort zone) Start off at a brisk walk-easy jog for about 5 minutes until your heart rate gets going, then start your run. Make sure you BREATHE!!! that's the hardest part about running (to me) lol. End your run with at least 5 minutes of easy walking to let your muscles cool down, then stretch out again.

I also have been doing couch 2 5k, it is hard for me, I am heavy and unfit, and it is slow progress, but it is the best fitness program I have used - ever - I have the ipod app, and it is so cool!

couch to 5k...it's awesome!

What I usually do is walk at a brisk pace for about 5 minutes first and, once you are all warmed up, stop and stretch for a bit. Make sure that you stretch out all of your leg muscles including your calves and shins, and also your chest, back and arms. Once you are all stretched out, it will make running more comfortable. When I first started running, I would run for 1 minute, walk for 3, and then, each week I would add more time to the running time and then eventually decrease the amount of walking that I did. And then, when I was all done running, I would walk for a bit to cool down and stretch again.

You may want to find out if there is a running club near you that you can join. That would be a good way of getting property guidance from people who know what running shoes work best and were once beginning runners themselves. Also, if you google running magazine, and access their website, they have some great articles online for beginning joggers.

Have fun!

i am just starting out too... i just started walking .. hoping to do that for a month... at a medium pace.. then going for faster.. then someday running... i want to ride a bike in the fall too.... you should do at least 5 to 10 minutes warm up before running.... good luck... as for sneakers.... they have to feel good on you... i've tried some that other people like.. and i don't like them.. i need to try them on and walk around the store... so go and see what outs there and what feels good to you..

1 / 3