How to soothe teething pain for 14 months old?

Has anyone dealt with their child having such bad pain from teething that they will not eat? My son who is 16.5 months has 4 molars growing in at the same time and will barely eat anything. When he does eat he cries and spits the food out, or eats only with his front teeth. He doesnt really act like he is hungry but we keep offering his favorite foods, soft ones, but he wont eat. Should I take him to his pediatrician or a dentist? I am having a hard time dealing with this as his sister never went through any problems with teething so I am not sure how to handle it. Please, any info or similar experiences would help!!!! Thank you.
Shane

Summary

Keep lots of cold rags or iced teething chews handy to ease the pain. If the pain really hurts try Tylenol. Just comfort him with cuddles, soothing music and rock him when the pain is overwhelming for him. If nothing works, consult with your pediatrician.

I agree. Hyland's Teething Tablets are wonderful. I used them for all 3 of my kids. Walgreens and Whole Foods also carry them. If he doesn't want to eat, I'd let him be as long as he's getting enough fluids. Maybe a fruit smoothie?

Try Hyland's brand Teething Tablets. They are homeopathic (herbal) and work great! You just melt a few in a spoon of water and give it to the baby. You can find them at Campbell's or any health food store. Dahl's and Walmart might also carry them now too. Give him those and then try feeding him. Also, you might try frozen fruits/vegetables to chew on or mashed up. The cold might help. They have little mesh bags made specifically for those frozen foods also so the child can chew and suck on them through the mesh. Hope this helps.

my now 12 year old got all four of his in the same day and the days leading up to it he wouldn't eat either and being my first kid I call the ped. He just said to give him something for the pain and give it a bit to kick in and than offer the food if he still wont take it just make sure he is hydrated the teeth will come through soon he will be fine. Good luck!!

My son who is 19 months old has three teeth (2 of them molars) coming in right now. He is also having a very hard time eating. We have been giving him really soft foods like yogurt, mac and cheese sometimes pb and j will work. We have even gone back to giving him baby food just to get him some nutrition. I usually will give him some orajel before meals and motrin if he seems really bad but I try not to use the motrin a lot. But the teething will pass and as long as he is a healthy boy and not eating doesn't seem to bother him, it shouldn't hurt him for a short time to barely eat anything.

I had this same problem with both my boys when teething (especially their molars). They wouldn't eat hardly anything for several days in a row. I was worried when my first one did this (I thought maybe he was going to starve!), but then I recognized that it would pass when my 2nd one did the same thing.
I just kept giving them Tylenol or Motrin and stuff to drink. It seemed that once their pain went away, they started eating again on their own. When they did start eating again it seemed they ate "alot" that 1st day or so, like they were "making up" for the days they didn't eat much. I did the same thing you are doing too- offering them their favorite foods and hoping they would at least eat something! Hang in there for a few days....

The only thing your pediatrician will tell you is to keep trying to give him whatever foods you think he'll eat. As long as you keep him hydrated, that's the most important. If it comes down to him not drinking fluids, he'll get dehydrated and then you'll have to take him in for IV fluids. There's nothing else they can or will do about that. With my kids, it came down to just eating popsicles and ice cream or sherbert until the teeth came in. Oh, I almost forgot, your pediatrician will also tell you that you can double up on Tylenol and Motrin for the best pain relief (if you haven't already tried that). It won't hurt them to have both. They are too different pain relievers. I'd love to hear how it turns out. Good luck!

K. K--mother of 3 (ages 5,4, 9 months)

Hi Shane. Do you live here in Boise id? If you do please contact me and i have something that will help alot and you can come to my house and get it. If not living here let me know where you are and i will see if someone in your town can get you the same stuff. thx.

M. B.

You might want to try putting oragel on them and them feeding him so that they are not hurting while he is eating, also a little tylenol wont hurt once in a while. I have four children and I am going through the teething thing right now with my last one, not fun, so I completely understand where your coming from. Hang in there!!

1 / 3