How to soothe chapped lips on toddler?

Hi. My 3 y/o son has chapped lips year round. I'm not sure if its because he's dehydrated or what is causing it. I put on chapstick, vaseline, but nothing seems to help. Any suggestions on products to help and what causes it?

Summary

First, check if your child is dehydrated. Some moms suggested to put Burt's Bee with honey chapstick, while some suggest other products. Look at the article for more remedies. If nothing work, consult with your pediatrician.

Thanks ladies for all the advice. He does drink a lot, but I'm not sure how much he's getting at daycare since they only give the kids shot glasses (IMO). He doesn't drool, but he does suck that bottom lip in a lot. I know that's why the bottom lip is chapped, but the top, I can't explain that one. I definitely have some things to invest in that will hopefully help him out. Thanks again!

i tell you what, i got the green li therapy stuff from Bath ande Body Works at the mall, and i think that is the best stuff for overnite, overnite fix of the lips.. i love that stuff better than Blistex (my husband and sons used to use) My little ones love it also. my daughter now 5 uses for at least a couple of years now. give it a try.

A. f.

We've had really good luck with Palmer's Cocoa Butter sticks: http://www.etbrowne.com/products/Collection.aspx?Collecti...
They really keep lips soft and my son loves the faint smell and taste. It also works great on chapped little cheeks :)

a 3yr old w/ chapped lips umh. Well I know that my niece experienced this a while back and i know my sister did the Vaseline thing, have you tried Shea butter or consulting his doctor on the matter. And do you think he's getting enough water. Let me know how that works out1

I highly recommend Burt's Bees. This supply of chapsticks, hand creams, salve, cleansers, soaps and lotions are outstanding. My family uses nothing else. www.burtsbees.com

Does your little man lick or suck his lips a lot? I ask this because I did and still have this problem, especially when the weather starts changing. I have found that Blistex DCT, the one on the pink canister looking thing, works for me. It does burn a little at first but it helps clear it up and keeps them from getting chapped again. Even my 3 y/o will let me put it on her when her's are chapped. I have to tell her that it is going to make them feel better, but after that she begs for me to put more on her.

Try Burt's Bees with Honey chapstick.
It truly works. Make sure you get the one with honey.
You can get it at CVS, Target...etc.
About 2-3 dollars, I think.

I always use Aquafor lotion (actually, it's more like a gel). But you can find it in the lotion section of the store and it comes in a tube or a pot. It's a great all-purpose fix for chapped lips, dry skin...pretty much everything! It has no scent or taste, so my kids never minded it being on their lips.

Hey N.,
I have a niece that also always has chapped lips and is chapped under her lip also. It comes from frequent licking of the lips and licking under the lip area. I gave my niece's mommy Mary Kay Satin Lips and it has worked wonderfully on her lips and the skin around her lips. The lip mask takes off the dead skin so when you put on the lip balm it is moisturizing good skin. You can't moisturizer dead skin, you just have to get rid of it. There is no alcohol so it doesn't defeat its own purpose. If you'd like to try some e-mail me or go to my web page and I'll help you out. www.marykay.com/kdawson2

Hi N.,
Lansinoh Brand Lanolin works great for not only those cracked nipples for us breastfeeding moms but for other dry areas of the skin. I use it on my son's lips and my dry hands/feet.

1 / 3