How to repair an old quilt?

Hi! I have several old quilts that need repair. Does anyone know of some ways for me to repair them? The fabric is wearing, but they are still in good shape. Our hands and feet tend to catch in them and rip a litte more so I really want to fix them somehow before they get worse.

Summary

Some people suggest to take fabric that is similar to the ones you have and quilt a square on top of the ones in need of repair. Read the article for more quilt recommendations if needed.

thanks to everyone for the information. If I find something that works, I will let you know. I am very excited about the the things and people you told me about. I am going to give it a shot myself first and see what happens. The density of the material was a really good idea i would not have thought about. Thanks again so much for all the addresses and people you "pimped" out for me.

there is a woman who repairs quilts, My co-worker suggested that she might be able to help you

Cynthia Bennett ###-###-####

She would be able to help you with questions or might even be able to do the job for you.

Cynthia Bennett ###-###-####

My mom was a quilter. And what she would do is take fabric that is similar to the ones you have and quilt a square on top of the ones in need of repair. Works every time. I would do it for you but don't know where you live.

J. Bell

K.~

Morning, your loved quilts can be repaired, but there is a bit of a catch, if you want to do it yourself you'll need to find fabric that is compatible in density. If you put a fabric on the quilt that is stiff it will cause the tears to be bigger, because it doesn’t give as the older fabric does.

If you don't wish to take that on, I know of a woman in Golthwait, Texas that specializes in repairing old quilts. She does a wonderful job, and does everything by hand, so that it will match the hand quilting of the one that you have. I don't have her information on hand, but I can get it for you if you want.

N. B

I had some of my husband's grandmother's old quilt tops (that had never been quilted) repaired and quilted by a lady who did quilting on a machine. They were at least 30 years old and had been in storage. Most or all seams were weak and many were coming unsewn. She was able to repair those for us. You might just look under quilting in the yellow pages. Good luck!

Hello Ladies!

I feel like I am pimping out my mom - but she is a wonderful seamstress, and I know she could fix your quilts. If you want to talk to her, please email her at: ____@____.com AND (please also send it to this one) ____@____.com is afraid of her computer sometimes, so the second one will get to her husband and he will print it off for her.

Just to pimp her a little more - she sews everything great if anybody needs anything else done!

If you will get in touch with the Quilters Guild they can help you. Here is the address for the Dallas Guild, the largest in the area: Quilter's Guild of Dallas 305 Spring Creek Village Suite 508, Box 521 Dallas, Texas 75248. There is also one in Plano, Richardson and other areas but they would be smaller ones.

I have an old quilt my grandmother made for me and I've also wondered how to repair it. I am not going to attempt it myself as I cannot stitch that well. If you find anyone you like, possibly you could e-mail me as well. Thanks

I have the perfect person for the job.
Her name is Brandi and her # is ###-###-####. Give her a call.

1 / 3