How to Remove Vomit Smell from Car Seat???

howdy, thanx for your input on how to remove vomit and it's delightful aroma from our britax car seat. can you easily remove the cover? how about washing the seatbelt? i appreciate your advice asap... baby lost her lunch yesterday (and of course, did not have change of clothing-but that's another story!).

Britax makes covers you can buy seperately so go on line an buy another cover and throw the smelly one away! Problem solved!

Edited:

Not familiar with Britax car seat.
Familiar with vomit, though.

For the seat cover: before you use anything like bleach try "Kids 'n Pets." For the seat only.

****Buy new straps/harness if wiping down with damp cloth and mild soap doesn't work****

It's a life saver - for all sorts of life's
messes and smells.
Found it at Target for about $5.
http://www.kidsnpetsbrand.com/index.htm
The active ingredients are enzymes.
With 2 under 5 I am never without-

My munchkin turned into a giant fountian of vomit all over her Britax seat a month ago. We threw the cover in the wash (probably a couple times) and hung it to dry. My husband hand-washed/scrubbed down every other component. The next day I found someone on craigslist selling two used covers cheaply and had them in my hands before our original one was done drying.

FRESH WAVE!!!! Go to ACE Hardware and by Fresh Wave laundry addictive and the jar of crystals. Put the laundry addictive on a cloth and scrub the area. Open the jar of crystals up a little in a cup and leave in the car. It worked at my house.

I have had no problems with just throwing our Britax covers on the gentle cycle with regular laundry detergent. I would hang dry though. Straps are trickier as you don't want to soak them or use anything more harsh than basic dishsoap. Hanging them out in the sun will help get rid of the smell too. I would be cautious to use any formulas with enzymes on the straps. A toothbrush can really help get in the nooks and crannies. If all else fails, you can order new straps from Britax.

Get to it quickly! Remove the straps and cover and rub them down with baking soda. Let sit for 5-10 min. Clean plastic car seat with bleach cleaner. Pour vinegar on straps/cover and rub some more. Put them in the washer on large load with 'sports wash'. You can find this type of detergent in the hunting or camping section in most department stores. This detergent removes residues from clothing making it a must is on mom's shelf. Dry on med heat and presto! No smell. Works every time my toddler suffered from car sickness.

We have had this problem SEVERAL times since we drive in the mountains a lot and each time at least one kid has hurled. I finally wised up and no longer let them eat or drink ANYTHING until we are down on flat land. Believe me, having to smell that for 15-16 hours on the drive back to Chicago is awful!! I also have a Britax roundabout car seat for which the cover is pretty easy to remove (a lot easier than a lot of other brands). The washing machine will get the vomit and the smell out of the fabric. Let the cover air dry. The straps are trickier. They tell you not to wash them, so I just washed them gently by hand in the sink with some Woolite. That worked pretty well. There was just a little bit of smell left but that went away over time. Good luck!!

Edited:

Not familiar with Britax car seat.
Familiar with vomit, though.

messes and smells.
Found it at Target for about $5.
http://www.kidsnpetsbrand.com/index.htm
The active ingredients are enzymes.
With 2 under 5 I am never without-

Hi A.. We just had this happen about a week ago while on a 5 hour rode trip, ugh. Once we got to our destination I hand washed the cover with a scrub brush and then hung it on a clothes line over night to dry. The next morning I placed it outside in the sun for a few hours. Lucky for us my son mainly hit the side of this car seat, my arm and a few blankets - not the car itself. Good luck!

1 / 3