How to remove sand in dishes on the top rack of dishwasher?

Just wondering if anyone out there has a solution to this problem:

We got a new dishwasher in November, and all of a sudden I have what looks like sand inside my cups and other dishes on the top rack. Does anyone know what this is or how to get rid of it? Is there a part of the dishwasher that needs cleaning that I don't know about?

Summary

Some suggest to anchor the plastic items so they don't flip over, sometimes the drain pipe gets clogged or lime residue in it and needs to be cleaned out and Drano did the work, while some suggest to hire a professional to fix the dishwasher.

Hi L.

I had that same problem and my dad had my put drano inside the dishwasher and it worked like a charm!! Sometimes the drain pipe gets clogged or lime residue in it and needs to be cleaned out and drano did it for me!! Give it a try!

A. D

My mother told me years ago a diswasher repair man's advise to her was "never buy a brand of dishwasher soap with a name that sounds like rushing water" - so Electrosol is what we've always used. I've more recently learned that most of the tabs you can buy have more soap content than most dishwashers can use. I was advised to cut those in quarters - especially so if you are in an area where you have to treat the water to make it softer.

yes I actually had the same problem in my old house. we had to have the plumber come and clean the filter thing that traps large plumps. I can't remember exactly what they called it but it worked like a charm. they just fush it out and it didn't cost very much. hope that helps a little, H. ayer

We had this problem with both our old and new dishwashers. We stopped using the cascade (both the powder and liquid would leave a film and scratches on our dishes) and we use the Electrosol 2-in-1 Tabs with JetDry. Wow, don't I sound like a commercial?! It worked for us and my confidence was reaffirmed when we ran out of the tabs and had to use the leftover cascade a few days ago. Gritty, filmy glasses again.

I do agree though that it definetly can be caused by too much soap or too dirty of dishes.

We got a brand new "high end" dishwasher and it left stuff on the dishes. We had never used a drying agent in the past and assumed our new dish washer would not need it. Upon calling, they said to use a drying agent and bam...clean, smooth dry dishes. I don't understand but I just do it now. See if your dishwasher recoomends a drying agent like jetdry.

We had the same issue...just the top dishes had issues with "sandy stuff". We have a spinner that attaches to the underside of the top rack. We removed that, cleaned it out and put it back in. There was a lot of junk that had accumulated in that which was spraying all over the top dishes. Once we cleaned that there was no more sand. I looked up "dirt deposits on dishes" or something similar on the internet and found a site that walked us through removing and reinstalling the spinner.

I have this same problem. I have learned to rinse the food and junk off the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. I then use a very small amount of soap. I have found that powder works the best in my house and if I use to much powder soap the gritty nasty stuff makes my dished gross. So less is better. Since I've already rinsed the food off I'm really only needing a small amount of soap and the hot water to santize or get a good cleaning. If you try this and still have the problem I'd look into returning your dishwasher. Or you could run a test run with no soap and see what happens. I think liquid or gel soaps only make my dishes filmy and leave to much residue.

I have it on my dishwasher that I can set it to start in a couple of hours.....I use Cascade Complete and set my washer to turn on at 3:00am, when the water is the hottest.

J. N

Hi L.

A. D

1 / 3