How to Remove Baby Poop Stains?

I need a crash course in Laundry 101 and especially ideas on how to clean baby clothes after diaper explosions.

I exclusively breastfeed my new daughter of 7 weeks and she is quickly ruining a beautiful wardrobe. I know accidents and stains are to be expected, but this is getting ridiculous. My son didn't ruin so many clothes so quickly.

Is there anything that takes the "yellow" out of the clothing? Pre treating the stains has not helped nor has soaking the clothes before washing. Any ideas? Please?

I breastfeed & cloth diaper, so I am familiar with the yellow poop stains! Fear not, they are actually easy to get rid of. Wash the clothing item however you usually do, but dry it in the sun! That's all--sunshine removes those yellow stains. I have hung out diapers that looked totally yellow, and they were clean and white when I came back to take the dry diapers off the line. Now, anything that has already been through the dryer is going to stay stained. The dryer sets stains. I never even have problems with poop stains on diapers, because I dry everything on the clothesline (yes, even with a baby and a toddler underfoot), so poo stains sunbleach out, and most other stains never set, so I can get 'em out in the next washing if I didn't catch 'em in the first time around.

My mom told me to use Ivory dishwashing soap to get stains out (this includes food stains as well). I usually keep some by all the sinks in the house. As soon as I can (immediately if possible) i prewash the clothes in the sink, cold water and use the soap. By the time I get them into the wash all the stains, including poop stains, are out.

Oxiclean has saved my life--and my laundry! I buy a large box of it at Costco. I keep most of it by my washer/dryer, but also a little tupperware container of it in the kids' bathroom.

Whenever my baby has a poopy blowout, I sprinkle Oxiclean detergent on it and run the clothes under HOT water while I scrub/swish the poopy. Most of it will come off that way. You can literally watch the stain disappear, just like on the commercial! Then I sprinkle some more Oxiclean on the stain and let it soak in a shallow sink of HOT water. The hotter, the better. It doesn't take long to see the stain go away completely. Then wring out the excess water and wash as normal whenever you're ready to do a load of laundry. You would never know the poop stain was there!

I also throw in a scoop of Oxiclean with every load as a laundry detergent booster. Works great!

Hi A....

I had a post like yours a while ago " Stain removers in baby clothes and using the dryer! Is it safe?"
I have the same problem...my little one doesn't have normal BM...he explodes every time! Goes everywhere...legs...back...front...EVERYWHERE!!!
So all his nice clothes were getting ruined!
I am using Dreft Stain Removers ( the pink one for baby clothes)...first I take out the "excess" than spray few times and I really try to wash it under the tap with running water...only when is just a little yellow left is when I put in the washmachine...so far I've got all the yellow stains out! Even on white onesis.

Hope it helps!

Get the item wet with the hottest water it can handle. Then using a combination of plain unscented Ivory bar soap and a toothbrush. Make sure you get the soap on both sides of the fabric. Use the toothbrush to lightly scrub it into the weave. Rinse. Then let it soak in some oxyclean for 30 min. Rinse and wash with the rest of the laundry. Dry in the sun. Sun naturally bleaches things. I don't suggest it for dark clothing or clothing with highly saturated colors.

I used Zout on my son's clothes and it does pretty well. The only thing is it still took some time in the bathroom, running water through the back of the stain, spraying it with Zout, scrubbing the stain, and rinsing again. Sometimes I would have to do it twice to get it all out, then I would spray it one more time just before putting it in the washing machine. I got 95% of all the stains out. Hope this helps! Good Luck!

OxyClean!! The baby version with a pink top. you can find it at target or baby r'us. this trully is the best product.

Simple Green and Spray n Wash. Simple Green is less toxic. and yes the green color even works on whites!

Joy dishwashing liquid. Works every time.

1 / 3