How to relieve breast pain during weaning?

I am despratly trying to wean my 8 month old but I am so engorged. I haven't breastfed her since monday and I feel like I will explode. She keeps nudging me there hoping I will start to feed her and I feel like screaming and crying. Is there anything I can do for the pain? I know I shouldn't pump because that will just keep my breasts making milk. I have went from a B/C to a DD. They are rock hard. Please does anyone know what I can do to relieve myself?

Summary

To relieve breast pain during weasning, some moms recommend cabbage leaves and pads. Take a hot shower and squeeze out all the milk you can and then when you get out put cabbage leaf and a pad in your bra. You will probably have to do it for a couple of days but it will help a lot. If the pain got worst, contact your lactation professional.

I had to take medication that is harmful to her, plus because of tests I have radioactive milk. It looks green. eww. One side has started to go down, the other is still too full. I can't express it because there is no nipple to hold on to. It is that full. I think it has gone down some though.

When I left the hospital from having my sons, they didnt give me any medicine to dry me up, they wrapped muh boobs up with 2 ace bandages, and told me to wear them for about a week or 2, that would help with the pain and lift them up for support and help dry them up, and it worked for me! good luck!

I had the same problem when I was weaning my first child. Pump just a little bit to ease the pain, and then you will dry up within a day or so. That is was worked for me.

You can actually take some sudafed and it will help dry everything up quicker. Cabbage leaves will help to relieve some of the pain, as well as ibuprofen. I hope that you get some relief soon.

Weaning does not mean to stop nursing all at once. Try taking away a feeding at a time, that will help you not be so engorged or pump one less time a day. For the pain, take tylenol or advil. I learned this the hard way. With my first I stopped breastfeeding suddenly. It took almost two weeks for the engorgement to go down enough that it didn't hurt to the touch and even a month later the sides of my armpits/breasts were still tender.

Weaning is something you should do gradually. Decrease your nursing sessions by one a day for a few days then decrease by another session and so on...go slow. Your body will get the picture and decrease the milk supply as you nurse less. It should not be painful.

Bless your heart. I know what your going through. I tried to quit cold turkey but after a half day i was over it. I started out slowly like cuttin on a cpl of feedings a day each day. And then i started breastfeeding only at nite and in the mornings. And then just stopped. Since you baby is already stopped breast feeding, you could pump a little bit to feel relief, don't empty the breast that is what triggers them to produce more milk. You can pump a little every time you get full and eventually they will stop producing milk. you can also go to www.breastfeeding.com and that will give you alot of information on what to do. That is where i found out how to wean. In the mean time go get in the shower and warm water over your breast to empty them some. And the cabbage leaves cold will also work to helpyour pain. Make sure you watch for mastitis. Good luck girl..
It is ok to pump just dont empty..

Hi-

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to breastfeed either of my children due to medical problems that caused me to have a low milk supply, so I'm no expert. But, I have heard that cold cabbage leaves help, not only because they are cold, but because there is something in them that will actually cause your milk supply to dry up. Not sure if it's true.... Also, I don't think it would really matter TOO much if you took a shower and expressed just enough to be comfortable and then next time try to decrease the amount. I think going from full nursing to none so drastically is the problem. Your body may just need a little more gradual change.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

If you only express enough milk to releive yourself but DO NOT empty your breasts then the milk will stop making as much until you aren't making very much at all and then nothing. I have breastfed both of my children and this was how I did it. Good luck.

Please. please pump to comfort. Do not allow yourself to become so engorged that you get mastitis or an abcess.
It is avsolutely correct that you do not want to pump and pump and pump - as that will stimulate more milk production. However, it is perfectly fine to "Pump to comfort".
It is also OK to ask your doctor about over-the-counter pain releivers.
Some mothers also find cold compresses help with the discomfort (a bag of frozen peas or kernal corn works well).
The safest way to wean, though, is to eliminate one feeding at a time - allowing your body time to adjust the milk supply between.
If you need more information or suggestions, please let me know.
L. G
IBCLC

Its been years since this happened to me, but i remember thinking, if it wasn't for the extreme pain, i kinda looked like pam anderson!!! anyway, i found that standing in the shower and slowing making the water as hot as i could stand it and let it hit directly on the boobs. it took me about 7 days for them to slowly go down. but they should . just remember to wear those pad things because you will leak at the weirest times. like standing in the grocery line, and hearing another child cry might set it off. ice might help too (use a bag of frozen peas or something), and if yo are sure you're not going to beast feed anymore, naproxen works good. well i hope that helps!!!. take a picture (with a shirt on of course) so you will remember exactly what perky DD's look like!!!

Hello and how are things going so far now? the best thing to do is always use the hottest water you can stand and i mean really hot and soak towels in it and place it on your breast as often as you need and it will make them go down and it feels so good....another thing you can do is ask your Dr. and he can give you a pill that will help dry them up alot faster. Good luck and please let me know how your doing.... D.

1 / 3