How to relieve a bad cough in a 2 year old?

My 2 year old daughter has a bad cold. I know we dont have any drugs to get rid of the cold.. But is there anything that will help stop the coughing so she can sleep.. and then I can sleep. WE have all been up for the past 2 nights. I really never knew that they showed the Barney show at 3 am ...

Summary

Some moms give their toddler honey and Vicks vapor rub on the feet with socks at night, and they think it really works. Some parents prefer medicine, call your doctor before giving your child any over the counter cough or cold medication. Many have been recalled or not recommended by Pediatricians and the FDA because of side effects from stimulants that are used decrease nasal congestion.

A teaspoon of honey and slather vicks on her feet and put socks on her before bed. GUARANTEED the cough will go away.

L. H.

The vicks vapor rub on the feet with socks at night really works...I don't know why but it does. We also use a humidifer and the vicks wall waterless humidifiers. If the coughing is really bad, sometimes the shower soothers or just a hot shower (you'll probably have to climb in too) helps. They also make a baby vapor bath that works wonders (I sometimes use it too).

L. H.

Don't ask me where, but I just read a few days ago about using honey for a cough suppressant. Someone did a sleep study (again, sorry, don't know who) and found that honey worked better than any of the conventional cough medicines they tested for helping kids sleep through the night. Sounds like it's worth a try to me!

You can give an otc medication called Delsyme. This medication can be used for 2 yo and older. You can also use the warm mist humidifier. May she is getting drainage on the back of her throat when she is laying down, claritin help can help that. Claritin liquid can be used on 2 and older. I use it for my 2 year old. Hope that help.

My 3yo is just getting over a similar cold, the cough got so bad she was harldy getting any sleep. I tried a lot of different cough meds and I have to say NONE of them worked. The only thing that helped a little was giving her drinks of tea with honey, or using cough drops or pectin suckers. CVS and Meijer both have a pectin sucker in the kids cold meds area, they're called Rhino Pops or something like that. Those work pretty well, I'm sure they're bad for their teeth, but they coat the throat temporarily. My daughter had to finally go on steroids to get rid of the cough, it went from at night only to all night, all day. Hope she gets better soon!!!

My ped reccomends Delsym It lasts for 12 hours Works great for my kids

HI,
My child is younger than yours,when she had a cough the MD said I could give her some Benadryl for the cough, so we could both sleep at night. You need to call them ask about the correct dosing for your daughters age and size. We can only use a 1/2 tsp when nescessary.I also use saline for babies nose.
Hope that helps.

Take vick's vapor rub and put it on her foot the bottom of them and then but her socks on and put her to bed that way. It worked for my son and he is 2. Good luck! D.

1 / 3