How to relief wrist pain during pregnancy?

Has anyone heard of these? I'm not having carpal tunnel, at least that's what the doctor told me, just numbness. She told me to go to Rite Aid or Longs and get wrist relief bands, said they were specifically for pregnancy and swelling. I've been to numerous stores and asked the pharmacist and they all look at me like I'm crazy. All I can find are support braces and carpal tunnel braces. I've been waking up all night long with one or both arms numb from the elbow down. My hands keep going numb through out the day and unfortunately my work is agravating it terribly. I'm a dental technician, so I sit at a bench, with my forearms resting on the bench, holding a handpiece. I can barely work for 5-10 minutes before I have to stop and wait for the feeling to come back. So the doctor told me to get something that doesn't seem to exist and I was wondering if anyone had heard of this. Thanks!!

Summary

It could be carpal tunnel, one that will go away within a couple months after giving birth. Some moms suggested to wear a wrist relief brace, while some suggested to go see a Occupational Therapist.

Go to Jack's Drug Store in San Anselmo. They will tell you what will work best. If they don't have it, they will order it for you.

D.,
Maybe the doctor meant the braces instead. There are specialty stores that carry wheelchairs, they also carry all sorts of braces and such type things if you want to call one of them. That is what I had to wear when I had the carpal tunnel. My cousin is having the same problem, and can't wait to have the baby. I hope you can find some relief.
W. M.

Hello D.,

Sorry to hear that you are having such a problem. It is hard enough to sleep at 7 months pregnant, let alone having to wake up because your hands are numb!

I am an Occupational Therapist and a Certified Hand Therapist and have treated many people with carpal tunnel syndrome including pregnant ladies. I even had it myself twice with both my pregnancies.

For most, it goes away after delivery. For some, it lingers because their hands are taxed in a new way after the birth. For example: holding baby, burping, feeding changing - all requiring the hand to be in positions which can make the hands go numb by restricting blood flow to the nerve.

The wrist braces place your wrist in neutral so that the blood supply to the nerve is optimized. The symptoms occur at night more often because your circulation slows down when you lay down.

Carpal tunnel typically affects the thumb, index, middle fingers and half of the ring finger, but everyone is different.

Perhaps a visit to a hand therapist in your area would be beneficial? You would need a referral from your doctor to go. Typically we see patients for 2-6 visits to educate and treat them and could give you advice on the best kind of splints. (The important thing is that they FIT correctly).

To find a therapist near you, (preferably a CHT or Certified Hand Therapist - they are typically Occupational Therapists OTR/L, CHT or Physical Therapists PT, CHT)

go to:
www.htcc.org (Hand Therapy Certification Commission)
Click on "CHT Directory"
or
www.asht.org (American Society of Hand Therapists)
Click on "Find a Therapist"

Feel free to contact me directly if you have any other questions.

Hope this helps,

Consider reaching out to medical supply companies that provide durable medical equipment (like Apria). There are
a number of smalled privately owned stores as well.

Then beyond that, go back to the marternity stores. I found back braces, bra extensions, and all kinds of nifty "tools" at their recommendation.

I obtained my braces through my chiropractor. They have support stays in them and secure with a velcro band for even more support. Cost was about $20 each. If you're in or near Los Gatos let me know and I'll give you contact information. There are also chiropractic techniques that can help. I'm happy to say that with chiropractic treatment, I've been symptom free for several years.

I had numbness and tingling with my second pregnancy. My OB said some people do develop the carpal tunnel and that it would go away after I delivered. She told me to get the carpal tunnel brace that goes around your hand/wrist/up your arm and connect with velcro. she said to wear them at night. I did but it really did not help that much. I hope that they work for you. Sure enough, after I had my daughter, the numbness and tingling did go away. Good luck.

I am a paralegal and have spent the majority of my time on the keyboard for well over 20 years. I also am having problems with numbness and tingling. Go back to Rite-Aid or Longs and get those wrist braces - they truly help. I use mine all the time now when I type whether I'm experiencing a problem or not. They really help. I have never heard of a "wrist relief band" but I can tell you from personal experience, the wrist supports work very well. Also, if you can try to change the angle you're holding your wrist in while holding the dental equipment, that might help. Again, I can't stress enough how much the wrist supports help. It certainly can't hurt for you to try it! I use one on each wrist - I call them my "typing uniform".

D.,
W. M.

I'm no doctor, but it sounds to me as though you do have carpal tunnel. I first suffered carpal tunnel six months after my child's birth at which time I had a difficult time carrying her. I'm a strong person, so this came as big shock.

It could well be that pregnancy and the recovering period after birth are times when nutrients normally allocated to certain regions, e.g. your extremities, have been diverted to the feeding of the baby and the womb. This could make your concentration on your job impossible over time. Many balances to which we are accustomed shift during the course of these several years.

In order to get over this as quickly as possibly, you might consider increasing your vitamin B intake, allowing yourself to take aspirin routinely and above all, rest. It's okay to ask people for help right now.

1 / 3