How to Quit Soda

I am really addicted to dr. pepper. I know it's really bad to be drinking any kind of soda. I have about 2-3 a day. I have tried to stop in the past, and did when I was pregnant, but now it just seems like that's the only way to wake myself up. What are some other alternatives? I need something sweet that also has some caffeine. I do not like tea. I think it tasts like dirt and I've tried a few different types. I also do not like coffee. So, is there any thing I can do? Or if I can get something without the caffeine and just deal with the headache for the week, and get past it, is there any way to make it easier to quit it?

So, I've gotten a lot of great advice, thank you!! We have a lot left over from my daughters birthday, so what I'm going to do is, just have only 1 a day for the first week. Then the 2nd week only 1 every other day, and then slowly each week go longer and longer with out having one until they are all gone. Then I'm not going to buy anymore. Does anyone know about sobe life water? I was thinking about trying that. I saw a big thing of it at costco last week, but I'm not sure how good it is. Thank you!! and hopefully this will work and in a couple weeks I will be soda free!

step it down gradually. when you have a withdrawl headache grab some excedrine. it has caffine in it. Drink plenty of water because regular ol dehydration can make the headache worse

Just wanted to give a shout out to the cali girl calling it "soda". I am originally a cali girl and I moved to WA...do you know that up here they call it "pop"?? WEIRD!

Hi C., Good Luck quitting soda. You will feel great once you have withdrawn from the stuff. Just an incentive that I wanted to pass on to you. Recently, I heard in the news, that soda drinkers were at a high risk of developing pancreatic cancer.

I really love Dr. Pepper. I was drinking about 40 oz a day. It was expensive, bad for me and almost rotted out my teeth. My husband and I decided to give up pop together. We started in August 2008. He dropped Mt. Dew cold turkey and never had another one again. He had several migraines that were awful. I thought I would have to hospitalize him. It improved and he is fine now. I started gradually reducing the amount I drank in a day. Then I would go every other day. Then a few times a week. The withdrawal headaches were the worst! Tylenol didn't help. Sometimes I would go to sleep with one and wake up with one. Sometimes I would just take a few sips to ease the headache. I think I suffered for about a month. But it got better and now I hardly ever get headaches.

It sucks to quit but I recommend taking it slow. Also don't buy it at the store. Just ease off the caffeine, and the withdrawal symptoms are tolerable. Don't replace the soda with other caffeine, just get your body used to not having it. I drink A LOT of water and that seems to keep my cravings down. I still love the taste of it and I cheat every now and then and have one at a restaurant or something.

I also noticed that the caffeine went in my milk and upset my nursing baby and that seems to keep me away from it. I don't like having a fussy baby just to drink a Dr. Pepper. Good luck and take it slow.

Bite the bullet, girlfriend!!! That stuff is like a bad drug! involve your family, and decide in your head that this stuff is killing you slowly. While you are at it, just eliminate everything from your life that contains high fructose corn syrup. It really is very bad for your metabolism and general health. I know you can do it, it probably won't take longer than two or three days. I used to be a big fruit juice drinker, always had grape juice, apple juice, etc. in the house. I went on a diet and learned now many calories I was getting from that innocent sounding juice, so I eliminated all juice and just drank water. Now, I don't want anything sweet to drink, my kids are revolted by soda, and the only time they get juice is at a birthday party. If you really, really think about how much the Dr Pepper is adding to your caloric intake and your intake of miscellaneous chemicals, maybe that will motivate you. Just go cold turkey and get it all out of your house. You can do it, really!

If you want to gradually wean, they make caffeine-free Dr Pepper. You could substitute that for one of your cans, then for two of your cans, etc. Then you could substitute caffeine-free diet Dr Pepper for one of the cans, and so on. My guess is, it won't be as satisfying and you could give it up all together after that.

Try English Breakfast tea (or any good black tea) with milk and sugar. It does not taste like dirt that way. Of course, this is a substitution, so you'll have to do something if you start drinking too much of it or get addicted to it as well. But, if you go this route, it will be a LOT less sugar than in a Dr Pepper. They contain roughly the same amount of caffeine (tea may contain a little less if it is instant). If you do use a substitute and wean off the DP, at least that will help you break your psychological addiction to DP.

C., I feel your pain! Getting off soda is tough, especially the withdrawl headaches. I need my caffeine in the morning and like you, I'm not a fan of coffee or tea. Stepping it down does take the edge off, the cold turkey thing never worked for me. As far as feeling alert and waking up in the morning, one thing I found to be an amazing help was an apple. Strange, I know. I read somewhere that eating an apple in the morning was a better way to wake up than a cup of coffee. So, I tried it. I was shocked to find how well it worked. I love apples, so it wasn't a big stretch. I didn't find the same thing with pears or grapes or bananas or oranges, all of which I tried. It only worked with apples. I was amazed at how alert I felt, I wasn't so grouchy (mornings are NOT my strong point), and I felt this way without my soda first thing. I still like my soda, and probably drink it more than I should, but I don't need it to wake up in the mornings anymore. I figure if I can conquer one thing at a time, I've done ok. Good luck, you can do it!!!

If you're tired all the time, there might be physiological reasons for it. One way to find out would be to have a 24-hour saliva test done for cortisol (this can be ordered by many alternative medicine practitioners). If you are suffering from adrenal fatigue, it could account for your craving for stimulants, and the good news is that there are adaptogenic herbal formulas that will boost your adrenal function and reduce that fatigue naturally so you will have no more cravings. But get tested first, please don't self-medicate without knowing what is really going on.

Best of luck...

Whatever way you try it is going to be tough. I know you said you don't like tea, but I use to hate tea as well. Someone made me flavored black tea and I thought it was alright and now I love it. Specialteas.com has some amazing flavors. You can order sample flavors. 1 sample pack brewed for 30 min in gallon pitcher and then add 1 cup sugar. Serve chilled. This might help you get off carbonation. I had the same problem you had with soda.
I quit last year, but living in Japan has made it much easier. They offer everything, but soda in machines out here. You can always check out an Asian supermarket. They have vitamin energy drinks that are yummy. Good luck it is no easy task.
P.S. We call it soda in the south as well. lol

1 / 3