How to Properly Clean Stuffed Animals??

My daughter is 14 months old and chews on the noses of all her stuffed animals. It's adorable...but they get really nasty. I know the tags say to surface clean with mild soap...but will that really get rid of the germs?? I also heard that you can place them in plastic bags and place in the freezer?? Is this true? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for your responses. I put about seven different bears into the regular washing machine in a mesh bag. They came out great! My daughter is glad to have them back!

Just throw them in the wash and be done w/it. My daughter has two lovies. Her mamma duck and HuggyDuckie. She has had both of them since she was born and still sleeps with them and brings them with her any time we go out. I could not imagine not washing them. These ducks have had every known bodily fluid on them. I wash them weekly because they get so grubby and 2.5 yrs. later both duckies still have all their parts. Although Huggyduckie has definitely seem better days and is not resembling a duck these days!

Despite what the tags says, I just throw them in the washer and let them air dry. It works great and they get nice & clean. Only problem: I need to do it quickly and not let my 2 year old know because he gets upset.
N.

I put my daughters in the wash and dryer and never had a problem. As long as there are no electric devices.

Hi! I am a Mom of a fifteen year old asthmatic daughter and I washed all her stuffed animals in the washing machine as per her doctor and threw them in the dryer on fluff and made sure all tags were off and the doctor was pleased. Hope it helps....Lee G

personally, I put them in pillow cases and wash them on delicates. You tie the pillow case shut and it saves the eyes and such. Then I dry them for a few minutes on delicates and then let them air dry the rest of the time. Good luck!

My kids are teens now. We had some well loved beanie babies that got between my son (who was about 4 years old & had a stomac virus) and the basin. He was so upset when he realized that his beloved beanie babies were covered in what was supposed to make it into the basin! This was actually our only hope because they were in pretty bad shape. I decided to wash them in the washing machine (warm water, gentle cycle) with a couple old towels. Then, I placed them into the dryer with the towels on the delicate cycle. They came out looking brand new! He was so happy he didn't lose his beanie babies. This also worked for my daughter's larger stuffed animal. It's been washed & dryed at least 4 times.

Throw them in the washing machine; they're dust collectors.. if they don't make it out intact, oh well. Better to be safe then sorry. They're cute, I know but it's more importatnt for the babys health.
Good luck..

put them in the washing machine..and then the dryer..in one of the mesh lingerie bags...good as new!

I find that most of them go fine in the washing machine even if they say on the label not to. My daughter used to throw up constantly (reflux) and so her teddies etc just had to go in the machine. Her favourite, which says surface wash only, has been in the machine maybe 50+ times and is still absolutely fine!!

1 / 3