How to prevent foot pain

Has anyone ever had pain at the bottom of your foot? My right foot hurts right by the heel close to the arch of the foot.
It hurts when I walk, as well as when I am laying down, or even just sitting, relaxing with my feet up. The pain isn't real bad, but it is enough to make me limp a little when I walk, and it just feels uncomfortable.....it kindof feels like my muscles are sore. I mentioned it to my sister in law and she said that it could be spurs? She has had them and they could get bad. She told me that I should go to the doctor and have it checked out before it gets real bad.
What exactly are spurs and how do you get them?
If it is spurs, would I ever be able to get rid of them? I have been dealing with back pain for many years now, I don't want to have this to worry about too.
Does anyone have any ideas what I can do for the pain in my foot?
Thanks

Summary

Foot pain could be a symptom of Plantar fasciitis, which is an irritation and swelling of the thick tissue on the bottom of the foot. Initial treatment usually consists of: Anti-inflammatory medications, heel stretching exercises, night splints, shoe inserts. But still consult a doctor would be ideal.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that responded to my request. You are all so nice.
And yes, I am planning on going to see my doctor about the pain in my right foot........I will get it checked out.
I definitely do NOT want it getting worse than what it is now.
Thank you all very much for all your advice.

Sounds to me like plantar faciitis. Does it hurt more in the morning when you first get up , but stretch out during the day? You can go to webmd.com and check out the symptoms to see if that's what it sounds like to you. The only things that a dr. will tell you to do is to get good supports for your shoes, stretch your foot out before you get up in the morning, wear shoes a lot and some will even tell you to wear tennis shoes to bed. Good luck and I hope that it feels better soon.

I have been experiencing very similar pain over the past month or so. My pain is in the heel of my left foot and it feels almost like I am stepping on a nail or somdething hard whenever I sit for a long time or when I wake up each morning. Someone suggested heel spurs to me as well but I have not had a chance to get it checked out at the doctor's office. I was told to point and flex my foot several times before I walk on it to help stretch the muscles and that seems to help a little bit.

R.

Hey, not sure if someone mentioned this, but if you can't get an appointment right away, go to a foot clinic at Playmakers, they are very helpful and they foot specialists there. Also, maybe after you've been to the doc, they can help you find great shoes for your feet with or without inserts.

R. L.

I agree with your sister about seeing your doctor. I was experiencing the same type of pain. It kept getting worse so finally went to the doctor thinking it cut be bone spurs. However, after he took x-rays, I found that I had an inflamation of the plantar fascia, which is the line layer of connective tissue on the bottom of the foot-from the ball of the foot to the base of the heel. I was givin exercices and an anti-steriod anti-inflammatory. also, consistancy with the exercises helps the foot pain.

I just had the bone spur in my right shoulder removed last week Monday and I'm sooooo happy I did. The surgery was sooo simple and so was recovery. I feel great and can move my arm all over without any problems. Just three small cuts and they were able to take out the offending bone spur...WONDERFUL! I'm assuming the foot is about the same. IF it is, I'd get it out before it gets worse. My shoulder was so great that I'm having the left shoulder done right after the holidays. I still can't believe it has only been 8 days since surgery and no more snap, crackle, pop in my shoulder and I can move it all over, even above my head already...WOW! And to think, I've been living with this for about 15 years...lol...what was I thinking? Hope your foot gets better soon!

Go to webmd.com and search "fallen arches". Fallen arches can lead to other issues. They can sometimes be treated with just shoe inserts...a much easier remedy than surgery.

It sounds like Plantar Fasciatas - I'd recommend seeing a Podiatrist to be sure. They can help with exercises and inserts. It is quite painful, but can be treated.

Sorry, your sister-in-law might be right. My husband dealt with them years ago and they became quite painful. this is the ordeal that he went thru - first, shots seemed to relieve pain, til one doc injected in the wrong spot and he cried like a baby for a whole weekend until the medication disapatied(sp?) then he was told he should have surgery to remove them - we didn't have insurance at the time, so that didn't happen. He was told to lose weight, he didn't do that.....but he got custom made orthotics (an insole) from another foot doctor and has been pretty much pain free ever since. It is exactly like it sounds, a boney growth on the bottom of your heel. Don't continue to suffer, foot pain is one of the worst things - the orthotics could also help your back - that's why I have them!

1 / 3