How to Prepare for Baby If Not Finding Out the Sex - Thoughts on Finding Out?

I am hoping I have the strength to hold out and not find out the sex of our baby. I really want it to be an amazing surprise on his/her birthday. That being said, what do I register for? I am worried that I will miss out on all kinds of "cute" things geared toward each sex (I mean come on, look at a size newborn pink dress in the mall!) by not buying or registering for sex specific gifts.

Also, how do I decorate the baby's room not knowing gender? Any paint color and theme suggestions? I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas during our exciting time!

Thanks moms!

With my daughter that we didn't find out about we did Classic Pooh alphabet, very gender neutral.
I'd suggest yellows or greens for neutral colors. Or even using a tan, antique white for walls so you can change decorations w/o worrying about color clash.

We decorated in Winnie the Pooh, which we love and is gender neutral. Noah's ark is also gender neutral, and if you love animals is a great one.

I chose to find out, but only because I had to have a ton of ultrasounds b/c they didnt think I had enough water and the suspense was killing me. :-)

We didn't find out what our daughter was. I would suggest not registering for any clothing (it turns out to be a pain, often times, because people will get seasonally inappropriate clothing, and clothing that you wouldn't dress your child in anyway). Ask for giftcards for clothing items, and go shopping after baby is born.
You will not miss out on cute items. As far as choosing an item for bringing baby home, choose an outfit for a boy and a girl, keep the tags on, give the outfits to a good friend or family member closer to the birth, and when baby is born, have friend wash clothes, bring to hospital, and then return the other outfit for the other sex.
For gender neutral themes, pick something that is nature themed, such as trees, leaves, those sorts of things, with soothing colors, and paint the walls a nice shade of tan, sage green, or other neutral color that you like. You can make all kinds of crafty ideas for the nursery, if you choose, and even decorate with gender appropriate accessories when he/she is born.

Not finding out the sex of the baby is extremely exciting. Go for it. :)

We didn't find out with either of our two, and both ended up being boys! We just had a good amount of plain white onsies, and a lot of gender neutral baby sleepers, which is pretty much all they are in at least for the first few weeks anyways. We did a black and cream toile print for the nursery, and painted the walls a tiffany green color. With this, and others, you can always add in more gender specifics after they are born. You can add their name on the wall in pink/blue, pink/blue accent pillows, etc. Especially with my first I just felt so much joy in actually being pregnant and having a baby, I didn't care at all what the sex was. There are very few things that can be surprises anymore, and this one is definitely the best of all.

We used Sandra Boyton 's set , It was a in all pastel colors..

You can return and exchange all clothing. So pick out the things you like boy and girl and let people purchase what they like from your choices.. It really will not matter about anything except clothing..

You can get lots of stuff that is gender neutral- such as medical supplies, stroller/carseat, bath items like toys/bath.
Any other items such as clothes, you can just say in the invite that since you aren't finding out the sex, gift cards or receipts are much appreciated.
:)
Good luck, I know its hard. We didn't find out with our first, and now that I'm pregnant with our second, I feel like I MUST find out! :)

I never found out the sex of my daughter. This was not because I didn't want to but because the insurance would not pay for a second ultrasound. I just told people to get furniture. bath items, toys etc. I know there are a lot of cute things out there but it always seemed more convenient for me to get my own baby clothes since I was the one changing diapers. A lot of clothes are really extra cute but a pain when it comes to changing diapers. Most of the time little onsie jammies are cute for either sex. The color blue can even go for a girl but I don't think pink can go for a boy.

One of my friends didn't find out the sex of her baby so this is what she did. She had a shower and just got lots of cream, yellow and white stuff. She actually didn't get that much cloths and asked for things that are easy to get without knowing the sex of the baby like bottles, diapers, wipes and blankets. And as for the all big stuff she, like me got everything to go for either sex. I new what I was having but I just thought if my next is a boy I don't want to go out and by a new stroller/carseat, bouncy chair, high chair, swing and pack&play so all that stuff i got in green and creams. My friend also did a beautiful nursery in creams. She figured once the baby came she could then accent it with blue or pink things like on the shelves and walls. Then once she had the baby her close family gave her another shower at her home when the baby was about 2 weeks. She had a girl so they all bought her a few pink outfits and hair bows. It really worked out great for her that way.

1 / 3