How to "Poop" Potty Train

My 3 1/2 yr old daughter is fine with peeing in the potty- but will poop in her pants only. She knows when she has to go, but won't tell us until after she has already gone in her underpants. She only wears a pull up at bed time. She is dry from pee all day long. We have tried EVERYTHING we can think of....praise, rewards, etc....What has worked for you???

I am in the same boat with my 3 1/2 year old son. It wouldn't be so bad, but he poops his pants sometimes 3 times a day. I am at my wits end! When we started potty training he picked it right up and then had an accident about a month later and it has been downhill ever since. This has been going on since December. He will be fine for a few weeks and then back to pooping his pants. He has no problem with peeing. I know he can do it which is why it is so frustrating! I have tried rewards, sticker charts, M & M's, you name it! I have him back in pull-ups all day now because I am sick of cleaning poop off of the underpants. I guess for now I am going to lay off and maybe take some others advice and make him clean up after himself. We'll see how it goes. Best of luck to you. let me know how you make out.

I am actually having the exact same problem down to the letter so if you have received anything from anyone please let me know. I am at the end of my rope!!!

I had the same problem with my daughter who is now 4. She would pee on the potty but would go into another room by herself or hide in a corner and poop in her underpants.I also used praise and rewards and that didn't work. What I did was buy her a little barbie desk that had a small pad of paper with different pictures for coloring, crayons for drawing, glitter glue and small safety scissors, it also had little slots on the side for storing the crayons. She loved it. She could only use it on the potty when she had to poop and that made her want to poop on the potty more often. If it doesn't work don't push it with her because she may go backwards instead of progressing. I hope this helps because I know what you are going through. I've been there myself.

When I potty trained my kids, I let them run around without anything on thier bottom. I would put the potty in the playroom and a gate at the door. When they need to go poop knowing they had no diaper, they would have no choice but to sit on the potty. If they were in the living room watching TV, I would put the potty there. Where ever they play the most that's where the potty would be. Also keep an eye on them for the signs that they have to go and encourage them to get on the potty.

mm's...that worked for my daughter. I gave her one every time she would pee but told her that she could have five if/when she pooped. I would stick her on the potty about 30 mins after she had lunch or a few times I heard her pass gas and then stuck her on it. They typically master one then the other. They also say it is a power thing, so as much as you want her to poop on the potty you have to act like you don't care, but when she does (and she will) give her lots of praise! Call Grandma or anyone she will talk to on the phone. But don't stress about it, I did too and then I stopped and that is when she started going too.

I would say that as long as she is still regularly pooping in her pants, she should be wearing pull-up diapers, not underwear. If she understands that wearing underwear is a privilege for big girls who poop only in the potty, this may provide the motivation that she needs to stop pooping in her pants. It may seem like regression to switch back to diapers for a while, but ultimately it could get the message across that pooping in her pants is not the way to go, by providing her with a clear incentive to stop doing this. Also, it will make clean-up for you easier.

we used to read books to our little girl on the potty to poop. She was on a pretty good schedule so we knew around what time of the day we should encourage her to sit and we would read.

I had a similar prob w/ my now 4-1/2 yr. old daughter. As a toddler she had some issues w/ constipation, so I think she was slightly fearful when it was time to go poop to begin with, so it made the training more trying. Like your daughter, she learned to pee on the potty quite well. Anyway, the Nurse Practitioner informed me that it was all about "control"...her wanting to control when and where she pooped. It did sometimes feel like a power struggle, as she was certainly old enough to understand that "this isn't what big kids do", yet she still went on doing it. The N.P. advised me to do the following, and though it has taken some time, it is finally working. We gave her fairly high doses of laxative (1 capful of Miralax mixed in a drink)...at first 2x a day, until it had a result...then 1 time daily. (You probably want to run this by your "ped" before doing this, but for the record, Miralax is non-habit forming and safe.) Basically you are re-training their bowels as well as behavior..they start to realize that they don't have control over it anymore, and it's MUCH more preferable and comfortable to go in the potty. I did start rewarding w/ toys, once a week, but the older the child is, the more complex it gets w/ all of the negotiating, so I started to emphasize how proud we are of her, and how proud she should be of herself for being such a big girl. (and just like the other kids in her preschool class...the peer pressure starts working here too)

1 / 3