How to Overcome Depression

I'm starting to think I have depression, but can't figure out why when I am so blessed. I get to be a SAHM, live in a nice house, have enough money to pay the bills and still do things and buy the extra things, I have a great husband, great kids, I could go on and on about all of the good things in my life. I am never happy though, I will look forward to things like going out somewhere with the kids or my husband and once the time comes I want to just stay home. If I do go, I can't wait until it's over. I don't really enjoy doing anything! playing with the kids, going out with my husband, hanging out or talking with a friend...nothing is fun anymore. I think I've been this way for a long time now but I try not to think about it. Lately I have been eating like crazy and it's not that I'm hungry at all, its just about the only thing that puts me in a good mood, but that doesn't last long since I am still trying to lose my last few pounds of baby weight so it makes me feel even worse. I don't know if it's weather realted...even though it's spring it's still winter like weather here so I am spending a lot of time in the house. I havent really said anything to my husband about this, he has enough stress with work I don't want to worry him and I feel stupid talking to anyone else about this. Like I said, I have NO reason to feel this way. My mom had depression in the past but I don't know details, just that she was on medication for it. So I was looking for advice....are there any specific vitamins/supplements I should be taking that could help my moods? I have constant mood swings too and sometimes I can't even stand to be around myself. Could this be post partum depression? I have a almost 3 year old and a 6 month old. I would like to avoid taking medication if I can, but I guess eventually if nothing works I will have to see a doctor about this.I appreciate any advice.

I had the same problem soon after my baby girl was born. Honestly, medication really helped. I tried ignoring it, but the signs and symptoms were just too strong. Medication was the key for me. But i am not taking a strong amount of it, just 10 mg of Prozac. It reallly helps.

Hi KF, you have so many good answers here. I just wanted to add, when I take my daily Multivitamin regularly, I DO feel a little less fragile.

:)

If you feel depressed for no reason, it may be a chemical or hormonal imbalance. See your doctor. It could be an easy fix. Have him do a thorough thyroid check.

Since your mom was on meds for depression, you may want to ask her for more details, or at least let your doctor know that there is that risk factor in your genetic history.

You have described some of the classic symptoms of depression. Sounds like there is also family history. It is not something to be ashamed of or feel bad about, although there is still stigma in our society. You have a 6 m old baby, so post-partum can be an issue, although you describe feeling this way a long time. It may be you've been depressed for some time and recent pregnancy/baby compounds it. If you are opposed to taking medicine, you can try talk-therapy, but you need to find a therapist you click with, which sometimes takes trial and error. Depression does not have to have a reason, and often it does not. Rather it is often a biochemical issue. One thing is clear from what you wrote, you do not need to continue feeling this way, please get some help! Life is too short to go through it feeling lousy when you don't have.

I read all the responses so far. My bout with depression was turned around by diet (eating regularly, balanced, healthy meals) and exercise (30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening).

I did spend some time in counseling and it took me a while to find the right kind of counselor but in combination with the exercise and the proper eating I finally got to normal again or should I say better than normal because I had been depressed for years.

My exercise routine began short and simple. Running in place, jumping jacks, touching my toes, knee bends, leg lifts, crunches, and some weight lifting. Not all in one day but a series of them at a time until I built up to 30 minutes a day. Day 1. I could feel a difference. I'm not a fitness nut but I definitely experienced a difference in how I felt.

Two suggestions:

1. If you are a praying woman, please seek God provision, peace and comfort and ask people at your church (if you are attending or not), to pray for your well being and that of your family.

2. Follow the advice of Nancy W. (I believe she is also right on track)

In my forties, I experienced depression so bad that I could barely get out of bed to go the the bathroom or eat. I liked my doctor but she had me on so many things: to sleep, to wake up, to not depressed.

One day I realized that I didn't feel better and in fact I felt worse, so I flushed the pills and started little by little, getting out in the fresh air, eating even when I didn't feel like it and just moving around. That's been a long time ago, but I can tell you daily prayer (first thing and last thing helps so much). If you are not a praying woman, meditation would be similar. Simple but true, you must love and take care of yourself before you can take good care of others.

Blessings...

Getting out of the house and exercising! Serious movement to get the chemicals in your body moving around. That is some of the best ways to deal with it on a daily basis, at least for me.

It can absolutely be post partum. I had it and the best thing for me was talking. I found a female therapist who specialized in female issues and even ran a group for new mothers. She was the best. And when I was feeling better, she told me that we were done.

I did take meds, too. I was very anxious and needed them to help me with anxiety.

Just remember, meds aren't forever. But they can really help you get over the hump. You shouldn't feel bad if you go that route. And you don't have to tell anyone your business.

Fell better!

Could you just be stuck in a routine and normal everyday stuff and are simply bored. Try doing something out of the ordinary and spark up your interest. Inspirational music, prayer, good diet, exercise and sometimes meds are helpful in relieving depression if that's what you think is going on!

I seriously went through the same exact thing a few years ago after my second child was born. I finally got so depressed, I wasn't blue anymore, I was dark blue, black. I felt like I was going in a vicious circle. Never living up to anyone's expectations, trying to be happy, faking the smiles, and never enjoying the precious moments. I felt like I was in my own hell and no one could ever understand because I didn't know how to exactly explain it.
So, with all that and more, I really, really, would follow others advice and start off with your family doctor or OB-GYN. That is what I did because I knew I was only going to get worse. Don't be embarrassed, don't feel like you are going to expose any kind of weakness, there are so many changes in your life, new baby, sleep, hormones, etc. Find a good therapist or psychiatrist. Look at it this way, it's at least an hour of a break where you can talk about you and someone is paying attention:). I promise, there is light at the end of the tunnel and where you will feel like you again. Just take "your" health seriously and don't wait.

1 / 3