How to Move Our Stuff

My husband will be doing a summer internship across the country and I, along with our 2 kids, get to go with him. We want to just get a furnished apartment so we don't have to move all of our stuff just to move it back again. However, we need to take more stuff than will fit in our car (toys, enough clothes for 3 months for 4 people, stroller, portable crib, etc). We only have one car. My husband and I are trying to find the cheapest way to move more stuff with us. A moving truck is like $800. We thought of a rental car but amazingly it's still like $600 for 3 days (I know, I was amazed too. I guess when you get them for just one city they are a lot cheaper, but when you drop them off in a complete different city they are a lot more expensive). Our car is a camry, so I don't think it would be strong enough to get a little trailer. Our only other option that we have considered is having me fly there with our infant, who would fly free, which would make more space in the car without us in it. Right now that is about $150 for one way. The major downside of that is my husband's company will reimburse up to $500 of travel there and back, but only his travel, not mine. anyways, I just thought I would check to see if anyone else had any other options that we aren't thinking of. Thanks.

I don't know how much they cost, but have you looked into get a POD? They drop them off at your house, you load it and then they drive it to your destination.

Check with the bigger moving companies, with a small ammount of stuff they are always looking for filler in their truck to make a trip more worth it. We had a small load for our move to the west coast and the price wasn't too bad because we were packed in with two other larger loads. Just a thought. We used Atlas moving truck through allied moving.

What if hubby flew and you drove with the kids? Then it would get reimbursed.

I say, shop around. The moving truck shouldn't be that much (for a small one). There's Uhaul, Penske, and Budget. Check prices in neighboring (larger) cities. Sometimes you can find coupons online or from an Entertainment book. He could tow a "dolly trailer" with the car on it, too. Personally, I'd rather fly with baby than drive all that way (with TWO kids)! Or, have someone babysit for a few days, you 2 drive over with stuff in the car (or a rented truck), then one of you get a roundtrip ticket to go back and get the kids. If he is in the vehicle, or it is moving his stuff, it should qualify for the travel reimbursement... Good Luck!

You could always ship some thing. They have those one rate boxes that ship anywhere for $10. You may want to look into it.

What I would honestly think about is the cost to replace things rather than take them. A used pack n play is cheap, clothes can be too. I would consider a car top carrier, and taking the things you absolutely must have. You can pack all of the clothes you would NEED for the kids in one suit case..seriously! Toys can be replaced easily on craigslist or garage sales. And, really..they need a lot less toys than we realize!! And, the cost to replace can be spread out over time, rather than a one time expense. I say buy it used when you get there, and sell it before you leave. Craigslist is a great thing!! Then, when you come home, all of your toys feel new again..haha! I hope you enjoy the trip!

Hi Mindi,

Did you consider boxing up and mailing/shipping those items that you absolutely cannot replace while you are there, but really must take? People are boxing up their clothes and mailing them rather than paying for the baggage fees when they fly. So maybe mailing a couple of boxes of clothes and favorite toys would help make room in the car.

1 / 3