How to Make Friends in My Area?

Hi there! I'm new to this group, looks like lot's of support which is wonderful. I am seeking advice on how to make friends in my area. I have a great husband, and a 17 month old busy son. I am now a stay at home mom, and finding it difficult to be alone a lot. I would also like my son to have social time, he loves other children when he see's them. All of his cousins are a lot older than he is, or younger (newborn).

We are religious, but do not belong to any churches in our area. I haven't even seen any general christian churches in Kaysville. We have some very nice neighbors, however they are older, work, and do not have younger kids. We do hang out with them on occaison though.

I took my son to the park a few times, but the mom's seemed stand offish. I am not sure if this is just me or what? I did try to make general conversation, like oh your son is cute etc. They replied and walked away. Some mom's even moved away from where I was sitting. I was kind of bummed when I left :(.

Any advice on how to make friends in my area?

-- S.

Thanks ladies! I really appreciate the responses. I didn't mean to turn this into a mormon - non-mormon thing. I have no idea what faith those ladies were. Too me I really have no preference on people's faith as long as they are nice non-judgemental people :). I received a message or two from nice ladies here, so maybe something will come of that. Cindy I am in Kaysville :), I'll have to look and see if I can find any churches around me again.

I think it's so funny that so many of us would love to make friends with people at the park. We must be going to the wrong parks, or going at the wrong time!

Although I have to admit I haven't really approached anyone at the park in a while. I usually bring a paperback to read while my kids play, though I would love to chat instead.

I just joined this group today, but it seems like it'll be a great place to make friends.

I think joining a playgroup will really help you make friends. I'm thinking of trying to get in on Zoe's group. It sounds like fun.

I also have a 17 month old (she'll be 18 months old soon though), and a six and eight year old.

Welcome S.. I too am pretty new to my area, to Utah for that matter. I also have been having the same issues with meeting people. My husband is overseas and I'm doing the stay at home mom thing.I have a 10 year old son and a 20 month old son. While my older son is at school I would love to have someone over the age of 1 )lol) to talk to or do things. PLEASE contact me if your really interested in having play friends for your son..thanks..M.

Hi S., I am running into the exact same problem. I might have found a Christian church but it's in Syracuse (might be too far from Kaysville). I've been only one time and I'm probably going to go back.

I had to enroll my 3yr old daughter in a pre-school so she could finally have the interaction with other children that she was looking for.

It has been very difficult for us to try and make friends but we are still trying :)

*we tried the park thing too and got about the same results/reaction you did.

I know this might not be much help but don't feel alone as we are in the same situation as you and your family.

Hi S.-

We have a playgroup that my son and I attend once a week. My son is only 8 months old though. Our play group has a lot of people and their kids. I think the oldest child in the group is like 14 or 15 months old. So most of them are younger than yours. Anyways, those in the playgroup are from all over. I'm from Layton, there are some from Roy, Ogden, and Clinton. The mom that started the playgroups name is Liz Barnard. Tomorrow we are meeting at Layton Park (by Layton High). If you would like to join our playgroup and meet others, you can. If you want to know more you can contact Liz by email at ____@____.com, or call her at ###-###-####. We'd love it if you'd join.Anyways, feel free to email me also. My email address is ____@____.com

T. K.

I read your message and I can completely relate to it 100%. I can especially relate to going "to the park a few times, but the moms seemed stand offish". Been there and done that. I have been attending a playgroup for the last 2-3 months and I feel blessed to have found this group, as it had been a very difficult few months prior to getting connected to the group.

About myself...
My name is Z.. I'm a 35 year old stay-at-home Mom... I have a 17 1/2 month old daughter, Isabela, who is truly the light of my life. I have a wonderful and loving husband, Martin. We relocated to Layton, UT from Omaha, Nebraska earlier this year (beginning of March), as a result of my hubby's job (Union Pacific Railroad).

The first few months were the hardest, as we don't have any family in town and didn't know anyone either. Our neighbors are really nice, but, like yours, most of them are older and don't have kids (or kids my baby's age)... We talk and have exchanged phone numbers... they call or stop by to say hi and, basically, check up on us (LOL), but we don't really hang out. I do feel blessed that we at least know we can count on any of them in case of an emergency, as they are those type of people :) So for that, I am very thankful for.

Through one of my neighbors, I got connected to the playgroup I've been going to, which has been a blessing... Not only for my daughter, so she gets some play time and social interaction, but also for myself (gives "me" some social interaction as well and a nice little "break" from the same daily stuff)... Before having Isabela, I had always worked full time (nursing, I have a BSN) and had always been very socially involved... Well, since our relocation to UT and being new to the "stay-at-home-mom" concept... well lets just say it's been a completely new "learning experience" for me...And I'm learning, but it's been challenging. But I try to stay positive and know that it is in those times when we are out of our comfort zone that we grow. Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "A woman is like a tea bag, you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water". :)

Real quick, about our playgroup... since I've already written a novel (LOL)... Right now there are 12 of us moms. All but a couple of them are stay-at-home moms. Most of us didn't know each other before the group. Some of us are new to Utah. Everyone lives in different areas: Layton, Ogden, Roy, Clinton. Our kids range between 7 months old up to 17 1/2 months old (mine's the oldest). There are both baby boys and girls. We try to meet once a week, which is nice. And we share different kinds of resources (Mommy advice, etc.) and "fun stuff" (like recipes) during groups and via email.

Let me know if you're interested in coming to playgroup. I'd be happy to send you info on our next playgroup (next week, we're having a baby "costume party"!!).

Sorry this turned out to be sooo long :) Just wanted to share a little (or A LOT!) about me and let you know that someone understands :)

Well take care and look forward to hearing from you!

Z.
p.s. Feel free to call me too, if you want to chat about playgroup or anything else for that matter (lol)... my cell ###-###-#### (we kept our Nebraska #s for family). Take care!!

Hi S. my name is J. also a SAHM. I have a son 3 1/2 years old and a daughter 14 months old. I am part of a playgroup and we have members from several areas as well. We usually meet 1-2 times a week andwe also have a mom's night out every month. It is a wonderful group of ladies if you interested our website is http://ogdenplaygroup.com/ or you can contact me by email ____@____.com.

Hi, I am M. Jones. Not LDS, but still believe in God! I too am a stay at home mom and would love a new friend who is not LDS. They are very stand offish! LOL My son just turned 4, but loves babies and is very kind to them! I have 2 older children also! I get lonely too, as my blood relatives I left behind in CA. My hubby was born here and now works as a machinest for a company called Lifetime Products at the Freeport Center. Please write me back and maybe we could get to know each other better! M.

hi S.
i just wanted to tell you about a playgroup that i go to. we live between ogden and layton, but we usually seem to meet once a week and spend a couple hours together. the babies are from 8 weeks to 18 months old and they have a great time together. i have an 8 mo old son, he doesn't really play much with the other kids but it is fun to visit with the other moms and watch the little ones play. please let me know if you are interested.

1 / 3