How to Make Brown Rice Taste Good?

I know brown rice is so much better for you. But, I hate the taste. Any suggestions on how to make it taste good?

you could try mixing it half and half with white rice. also, try different brands of brown rice. I hate the Success instant kind, but I like the off-brand regular (not instant, the kind that takes like 45 min. to cook). other than that, experiment with different sauces and spices. try adding lemon juice and parsley while it cooks for example. or for stir fry, try teriyaki or soy sauce. or try a little margerine and sugar

try adding just a little extra water, like 2 cups rice and 4 1/2 cups water. It makes it fluffier! once you get used to it ,, you will actually prefer it to white rice! also i put about a 3" sprig of fresh rosemary, take all the leaves off, and dice them and cook them in the rice, delish!

You should try cooking it in chicken broth instead of water or if you cook it in water try adding butter to the water w/ a little fresh herbs like rosemary or basil!

I definitely agree with the other poster who said long-cook brown rice is much better than instant. I don't care for the instant much at all. But I prefer brown rice hands-down if you get the good stuff. I will eat it straight out of the pan, but if you put some butter, salt & pepper on it..."Hallelujah!!!"

There is brand of jasmine brown rice called Lowell Farms and it is sooooo good. But try using it to replace white rice in recipes with a lot of flavor first. Maybe then after you get used to it, you'll enjoy the flavor of the rice on its own.

Kudos to you for bumping up the health value of your carbs! It makes a big difference!

cc

I made the switch several years ago and the real issue for me was the time it took to cook. I remember thinking "how will I ever have 40 minutes to cook rice all the time?" Now it's just not an issue. You will get used to it and your body will thank you forever!
In the meantime, try adding some veg. or chicken boullion to the water (if you can handle the sodium in your diet) and slowly cut back to plain water eventually. Or flavor it up with herbs or sea salt & pepper. You can cook the rice half & half with white rice. Just follow the directions and cooking time for the brown rice.
Hope it helps! happy eating!

I used to prefer white rice, also,but now I love brown rice. Try cooking it in chicken broth. Or pour a little bit of Italian dressing on it.
Good luck! My son still won't eat it!

I recommend cooking it in some chicken or beef broth. Even vegetable broth would be better. Just substitute the water for broth. After add salt and pepper to taste. Also, I'm a big advocate of playing with your spice rack. Just sniff and if it seems like it might taste good try it out. Try different combinations of spices but start with the broth.

:-)
http://www.mommysjoy.com

Hi Suzzana, you can add your favorite seasonings to the water while it is boiling and it will have a nice flovor to it.

Hope this helps!
htttp://D..soulpurpose.net

I didn't read everyone else's response...sorry!
I use garlic salt, black pepper, Season All, and a little bit of cayenne pepper in mine. Just a couple shakes at a time (except for the cayenne) tasting it along the way until it is seasoned just right. I don't measure them...sorry!
My family, including my 2 year old like it this way. And the flavor goes with pretty much anything!

I found a recipe online that my family just LOVES and now they won't eat regular white rice at all. I don't remember the name of the recipe, but my family just calls it grains. In your rice cooker, put three handfuls of brown rice, two handfuls of whole oats, two handfuls of pearl or whole barley, and a handful each of millet, quinoa and amaranth. Add water to about the 3 cup mark. Add a spoonful of butter or margarine and a few dashes of salt. Cook it through the rice sequence and it will come out fluffy in the end. The different grains give it a wonderful flavor and texture, and you can use it for anything you'd use rice in - I've used it to make chicken and rice and our version of fried rice as well. If you have a hard time finding the grains, you might have to go to Whole Foods to find them; they sell the grains in bulk there. You can adjust the recipe to your family's taste, and it won't affect the outcome; I sometimes use less, sometimes more of any particular grain on a given day. If there are other grains you'd like to try, experiment a bit. If you serve this by itself, it does very nicely with a little butter and a bit of dried marjoram stirred in. The kids also sometimes ask for it in the mornings with a little milk, like a porridge or oatmeal.

1 / 3