How to Let My [Bad] Layered Hair Grow Out?

For the past year or so, I've had a kind of shoulder-length and above shag cut, lots of layers. I like to change my haircut pretty frequently so I'm ready to grow it out again. How have you ladies handled this in the past? Should I have my hairdresser cut everything really short so it will all kind of grow out the same length? Or just let it do its' own thing, even though it's really looking rough these days? (I won't use the word "mullet" but this hair has seen better days, for sure.) Any tips or suggestions on how to make the grow-out process easier? Thanks!
Kristina M.: I know a picture would make it easier, the irony is I am HATING my hair so much these days that I would hate for you-all to think I really look this way!:) Also I hope to remain anonymous in cyber-land. Thanks!

As my hair was growing out I just kept getting new cuts that worked with the lengths I had. When ever I got the mullet thing going on I would get it cut until the sides finally got longer. I think I had about 4 different styles before it finally all got long enough to just let it be.

You're going to have an awkward stage, but let it grow! Throw a headband in and let it do it's thing... just stop cutting it! One of my BFFs constantly complains about her short hair, but I can't get her away from the scissors!

Good luck :)

I would let it do its thing. I have choppy hair right now and I am growing it out. I am never ever ever cutting it again. I went boy short after having my third. And well I looked like a 12 year old boy...for a long time. I have found that pulling it back up top is the best way to deal with the chop, until the chop is longer. I do the POOF up top or I will clip it back..braid it. I am almost there with mine!! I can curl the short pieces and they blend in better with everything else!!

Good luck !!

It's almost summer - pin it up in a twist, or a ponytail, or a messy bun. All three are in fashion right now, and are good for growing your hair out!

Honestly, a pic would help better suggest, however from what you have said, I would go to the hair dresser and ask what she thinks is best for grow out ... it could be as simple as a few handy styles to conceal it for a few weeks. An almost no fail style for the mean time is a wavy curl ... here is a tutorial link so you know for sure what I am talking about. You can use any curling iron size clamp or no clamp it is a no fail look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuY5ASiRqWw

Good luck :)

I'd say, cut it into a chin length bob and just let it grow.

Make sure you go to a good salon and an experienced person. Look through their mags and talk to the stylist about what your goal is.

See if you can find a style you like NOW, then while it's growing, and eventually what you want it to look like.

Whenever I get frustrated with the same style or trying to grow it out, I get some fun highlights to keep it peppy.

I would either braid it, pony tail it, a bun, or some hot rollers. I had my hair layered, and it looks funny unless I put my rollers in. I use jumbo rollers, so its not all curly, just really a slight curl at the ends, which takes the shagginess away. (I have so much hair, I have to do the rollers twice, to get all my hair done.) cleans it up really nice. On lazy days, I take a large barrel (1 1/4 ") curling iron & go over all my ends.

You need to watch out....so many stylists are preconditioned to shag hair out. This has happened to me so many times...I will finally have my layers pretty grown out and they will all of the sudden use a razor to 'lighten it up" and I come out looking like Rachel from friends!! Seriously-I am almost ready to find out the age of my next styleist to make sure that she was not working in the 90s during that era. But anyhow-you can grow them out by getting the bottom cut only and tell them to not touch the other layers. This is the only way that I have found they grow-if you let them "blend" them or whatever it just keeps the layers going. You could also go a little shorter to a bob.

1 / 3