How to Keep Runner in Place on Carpet

Do rug grippers work? I have never had carpet before and I need a way to protect the high traffic entryway. Any other ideas besides a runner? I am not sure the door would even be able to clear it.

I hate carpet......

I am asking about a rug for carpet.....

When you find out let me know. I have yet to find something that works, other than placing the edge of it under something heavy.

Yes you can have rug secure to your carpet.
I used shelf liners that were not paper but that white grid gummy type that
are soft, pliable underneath.
You can, also, buy tape strips. Do both or either! Def the tape strips
for the corners.

Maybe velcro strips? They make them with adhesive on each side of the velcro. That might help keep a carpet runner in place.
They do make clear plastic runners, which are thinner than a carpet runner. That might also be a good option.

We use a very low-nap 8x5 area rug in the entryway by the front door. It did such a good job of protecting the carpet that the part under it looked better than the rest of the room! We have hard floor now, but still use a rug by the door.

If you want to use a runner on carpet, there are grippers for the bottom you can try, or screw fasteners you can use that go through the corners of the runner and hook into the carpet.

We have rug grippers, and they work well, but we have wood floors too, not carpet. Years ago at our first house, our door would not clear a rug either, so I used to put a thick bath towel right under the door, and rugs next to it so people could step onto the rug after they walked in on the towel. It wasn't very attractive, but it worked. I usually just did this when it rained or snowed, and we took our shoes off most of the time anyway. Another thought I had, was if you go to Walmart or somewhere like that, they have those really thin rugs that some people put outside their front door. Maybe you can find a cute one for indoors. I have seen some really thin ones.

My grandmother came up with a good system.

She put a really long welcome mat outside the door, so most stuff was off shoes before they even came inside.

Just inside the door, she put one of those mats that have little spikes on one side, and hard plastic on the other. (Made to go under office chairs...) There was no way her door would clear a rug over her carpet, so this worked perfectly. All she had to do was sweep it off occasionally. :)

For the rest of the high-traffic areas, she put runners and rugs. She found some grippers that are almost like a rubbery tape, that you put on the bottom of the rug, and it grips the carpet under the rug to keep it from sliding. I can't remember what they are called, or where she got them though... But they have been in her house for over 10 years and still working!

Yes they do and if you have wood floor I would get a rug and the gripper as soon as possible. We got an entry mat (carpet) with out a gripper :( and it slid around and the sand under it destroyed the floor.

Or if you have the $$, make a tile area near the entrance big enough for folks to take off their shoes when they come it.

Putting those runners on your carpet will wear the carpet out faster.

1 / 3