How to Keep Ground Coffee Fresh over a Long Period

I bought a can of ground coffee (maxwell house) for an aunt who doesn't visit us very much. She mentioned to stick the coffee in the freezer and it would help keep it fresh longer. Is that true? You put the can and all? Do you put it in a freezer bag? Is there some other way to keep coffee "fresh"?

Wow - lots of responses - thanks! Most folks said that freezing works and some said the refrigerating worked just a well. A couple of folks noted that technically, freezing and/or refrigerating could break down the coffee. I think this time around, I will go ahead and stick it in the frig or freezer (depending on how much room I have) and see if she likes it the next time.

Hi S.
Have you ever tried storing it in one of those ziploc bags where you can suck out the air? We used to have a food saver and my husband would use that to store his coffee. I don't know if it would work or not, just an idea!

I keep mine in the freezer. Can & all! I buy coffee for when my mom visits & that's what she told me to do. She swears by it. You could probably put it in a freezer bag if space is an issue, but if not, just stick the whole can in there :)

it will freeze fine in the can forever

Despite what many people think, storing your coffee in the freezer or refrigerator is not the best. My husband and I are both baristas and coffee aficianados (I joke that we are coffee snobs). We have learned the best way to store coffee is in a plastic container with a tight lid. This will keep your coffee much fresher, and unlike storing in the freezer, will not change the taste and aroma of the coffee.

Hi S.

The freezer can help to keep it fresh but it won't stay fresh for long. You could always tell her that she can travel with coffee. When we travel we take our own coffee grounds.

My grandmother had me drinking coffee at 4 yrs old so needless to say I drink it now. But one thing my grandmother still does is she keeps it in the freezer. She has a friend that works at Starbucks and they bring it to her all the time and they told her to keep it in the freezer. When I go visit she pulls out what she calls the good stuff and I cant tell the difference.

Yes you can freeze it, I've done it for years because I literally only drink coffee every 2-3 months or so when I just get a craving. I do buy bags and not cans though. A bag will last me FOREVER. I normally go to Central Market/Sprouts to get mine and just get smaller bags. But even the large ones last a LONG LONG time, years - not months like some said! Some say it will "ruin" it but I assure you these are people who have never done it or just have really weird hang ups about it. I've also read articles in journals where it freezes for a long time.

You can keep it in the freezer but it will make it bitter. It is not the recommended way to keep coffee. Coffee should be kept in an airtight container.

We drink coffee everyday and store ours in the fridge. Yes if you want to keep the coffee fresh the freezer is perfect. Just take the can as is and place it in the freezer.

1 / 3