How to Keep a 4 Mo Old from Rolling over in Crib

Any suggestions on how to keep a baby from rolling over in his crib at bedtime? My 4 mo. old was sleeping for 10-12 hrs at night. However once he started rolling over, he wakes himself up after 8 hrs. My 2 yr. old did the same but he would fall back to sleep once he rolled over. Unfortunately thats not happening with my 4 mo. old. He wakes himself up and cries.
We have tried swaddling again and he manages to kick himself out of the blanket. We have also tried a sleep positioner and he is able to turn himeself over the positioner.

rather than trying to keep him from rolling over I would help him learn to roll back. do lots of tummy time to help him get use to being on his belly and to help him strengthen his upper body. I use to lay on my back w/my knees bent and chins in the air (parallel to the ground) then I would lay my daughter on my chins hold her hands and rock. Its a great work out for both of you and my daughter loved it.

good luck

good luck

My daughter did the same thing. the waking up when she was stuck only lasted a couple of weeks and then she learned to rol back over. Also, your son is learning a new skill and he wants to practice it. If he is kicking himself out of the swaddle then he doesn't need it anymore. Also, sleep positioners are supposed to be a suffocation hazard once the baby can move around. The same sleep habits will happen when they learn to stand up, crawl and then walk. Hopefully the waking up will end soon and he will be back to his regular sleep schedule.

Please don't use a sleep positioner, they are suppose to be a high risk for suffocation. Also, you can't stop a baby from rolling over, nor should you try. Sleeping 8 hours a night instead of 10-12hours is not that big of a difference. He could be going through a phase a does not need that much sleep right now. My 3 month old only sleeps 6 hours at a time with 1-2 short naps in the day and she is happy and healthy. He is probably crying after he turns over because he wants to be up not put back down. Be a little more flexible with his sleep schedule and things should be fine. Also, if a 4 month old is tired and sleepy, he will sleep regardless of being on his tummy or back.

Hi D.:

My 4-month-old son occasionally finds himself in the same predicament. Typically, we just roll him back over and after a few minutes he goes back to sleep, but one night, he rolled himself over six times. After the sixth roll, my husband and I finally thought it best for everyone's sake to nestle our son up against the side of his crib in order to prevent him from rolling over and waking all through the night. This worked in our case because that night he seemed to be rolling over in only one direction (to his left) and we didn't have anything in the crib that would obstruct his breathing should he turn his head to the left and not be able to roll over.

-C.

I'm not sure how to keep your son from rolling over during the night. However, I would be thrilled if my 5 month old would sleep 8 hours straight at night. He has been waking up 3 - 5 times a night. He just starting rolling over during the night too...I wonder if that is his problem. Anyway, the sleeping at night could be worse :)

I recommend swaddling, if you have not already tried this. Good luck!

Founder
http://sonoma.ca.theparentpack.org

well I would have to say most mothers are jealous of you for getting 8 hours LOL. I just put my son on his side with a body pillow and he didnt roll over until he got to be about 8 months so that might help.

I would literally get on my knees and thank God (I'm not kidding) if my daughter slept for 8 hours at night. She's never slept that long in her life (she's 10 months).

You are extremely lucky. 8 hours is an awesome night's sleep. 10-12 is unimaginable.

I would imagine as he gets older and rolls both ways he'll figure out how to get comfortable.

Ugh - I'm just so jealous of this post...

1 / 3