How to install a baby gate on the top of the stairs?

Does anyone know of a good gate for the top of the stairs? We can attach one side to the wall, but we have an issue with the other side. It needs to be attached to wrought iron. We have wrought iron that runs behind our couch and meets at the top of the stairs. I didn't know if there was a kit out there that would adapt for the wrought iron. Any suggestions?? Thanks so much!

Summary

Some parent choose Evenflo for top of the stairs baby gate, and have A+H Child Proofers install it. While some handy parents use some U bolts and "wrap" them around the wrought iron and attach to a 2 x 4 and then attach the gate to the 2 x 4. You might consider putting the baby gate a few feet back away from the top of the stairs. If your little gets bigger and is ever able to push it or "flop" over it, there will be a landing instead of stairs.

I love the Evenflo Top of the Stairs gate.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=226700...

We had A+H ChildProofers install it.
www.ahchildproofers.com

L.-

We had the same problem...except it was going to be attached on one side to a wooden staircase post. So, it's not the prettiest thing in the world, but it's not very noticeable either...my husband bought a thin piece of wood from the hardware store cut it to size and secured it to the staircase post with some heavy duty plastic ties that you can also get at the hardware store. He then secured the catch latch for the gate to that thin strip of wood and it works perfectly! And we didn't have to drill into our staircase post.

Hope this helps a bit!

We had A+H ChildProofers install it.
www.ahchildproofers.com

I highly recommend the retract-a-gate (http://www.retract-a-gate.com).

We have the same problem and we strapped a piece of lumber (don't remember the dimensions) to the post and screwed the catch screws into that.

It works really well!

We had a similar situation with our baby gate. At our old house we had walls on both sides of stairs so it was no problem. In our new house we had wood banisters on both sides and I really didn't want to screw into them. So hubby (who isn't very handy) devised a system of 2 by 4's (I think) that screwed together around the banisters (like a rectangle) and then the gate screwed into that wood instead of the banisters. I think something like that would work with wrought iron.

If you have a handy husband, or know a hire/know another person, and don't mind the look, you could probably use get some U bolts and "wrap" them around the wrought iron and attach to a 2 x 4 (you could paint it to make it look better) and then attach the gate to the 2 x 4.

Check out protectiveparentschildproofing.com, they have products for sale or you can get a technician to come out and recommend and install products for you! Good luck.

we have this problem at the bottom of our stairs so we attached to one side of the way with screws and the other side we used big pieces if velcro that wrap around the railing and then the gate o secure it shut

HI!
we have a similar situation and bought the metal swing gate that attaches to the wall. On the other side where your wrought iron is we attached a piece of wood to the banister and then attached the gate to that. We were able to paint the wood and it looks fine. You may just have to find a gate and be inventive. If you want a picture of how we did it--just e-mail me.

1 / 3