How to Help 4 Year Old Put Shoe on Right Foot

Any tips how to help my preschooler know which shoe to put on what foot? I tried putting stars on one shoe and not the other, explaining that the star-shoe goes on the left foot, etc, But she still puts on shoes wrong many times. It's cute, but is there a way u teach them?

I asked my daughter's pre-school teacher about this as she seems to get them on the wrong feet more than the correct ones (and she is 5). She told me it was completely normal still at this point. I tried drawing arrows that point to each other on the inside of the shoe but they don't help her to do it independently, only if I remind her when she is putting them on. I just wanted to let you know that it is ok if she doesn't get it yet for a while. After reading these suggestions I think I may try a sticker on the side of the shoe to see if that helps. I was trying to avoid having anything visible on the outside of the shoe but maybe it would help.

I put stickers on the insides of both shoes for my daughter at that age. Smiley face ones to be exact. I told her that when the smilies could see each other, her shoes were correct. Worked for us, hope it works for you!

paint her little toe with a bright color nail polish and put a dab of the same nail polish on the ends of the shoelace. or inside the shoe if it has no laces. (do it on the same foot lol)

Draw arrows inside the shoes that point to each other. Then she'll know which way to put them. A friend told me she did that and it worked.

Couldn't agree more with the advice about putting one star on the side of each shoe so that when they are put the right way the stars will touch. My daughter's shoes have a mark (right near the big toe). She knows if the marks touch each other they are lined up to go on the correct feet. If they are not touching she has to switch them around. Worked like a charm for both kids.

We drew arrows inside the shoe so that when my son had the shoes lined up next to each other he knew they were right if the arrows pointed towards each other. Got it down in a snap!

My daughter used to do this and on purpose she says it feels better, sw we let her until it stopped feeling better to her and she knows, sometimes they just do it, and it s ok

Put stars (or a dot) on the INSIDE sole of each shoe (not the inside of the shoe, but the "arch" part on the sole of the shoe). My M. would say... "Match the stars" and voila, they are automatically on the right feet.

I ended up getting special shoe stickers I found (but you could replicate the idea). Each shoe got a bear sticker and the bears in the left shoe and right shoe would appeaer to "hold hands" when the shoes were correct, or put in arrow stickers in the shoes such a way that the arrows point to eachother when the shoes are correctly left/right.
Or put a number 1 in the left shoe and a number 2 in the right and see if that even helps... sit the shoes next to eachother before putting them on and see if it's 1 then 2- the correct order. Not 2 ---1. Hope this makes sense!

1 / 3