How to Hang Decorative Butterflies from Ceiling

Updated on March 14, 2010
A.C. asks from Shingle Springs, CA

Hello Mamas!

I recently purchased butterflies and fairies that come with the clear fishing line attached so they can suspend from the ceiling and appear to fly. However, I don't know how to fasten them to the ceiling. The ceiling is white and I'd like to conceal any fasteners as best as possible.

Have any of you ever used these kinds of decorations and how should I fasten them to the ceiling?

Thanks, ladies!

A.

• Add your own comment
  • Ask your own question
  • Join the Mamapedia community
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

So What Happened?

Thanks for all your responses. I ended up using clear tacks and it worked perfectly. The girls came home from school today to see new decorations... it felt like Christmas!!!

Smallavatar-fefd015f3e6a23a79637b7ec8e9ddaa6

P.W.

answers from San Francisco on

White thumb tacks. As a decorator, I can tell you that a person can get overly anal about perfection in decorating (I've done it), and a little imperfection (like white thumb tacks showing) is actually more interesting. And truth is,nobody will stare at the ceiling.

Edit My Answer

R.C.

answers from San Francisco on

I did something like that years ago but I had a popcorn celing that I didn't want to have flake every where. What I did was put fising line attached to the head of a nail or white hook and strung that accross the celing in a random manor and then hun the decorations from the fishing line.

P.W.

answers from San Francisco on

K.L.

answers from San Francisco on

Ditto to the other responses - we have decorative butterflies hanging from my daughters ceiling, and white or clear thumbtacks are the only thing that does the trick. Just be sure to tie the fishing line around the tumbtack nice and securely before sticking it up there - trying to stick the tack THROUGH the fishing line does not work. LOL.

M.J.

answers from Sacramento on

I hung our daughter's using clear tacks. I knotted the string around the base and just pushed up into the ceiling. This has held just fine ... two years now.

R.C.

answers from San Francisco on

A.D.

answers from Sacramento on

I hung a large stuffed unicorn once with fishing line. I used white(the color of the ceiling) tiny hooks and you could not even see them. Good luck.

K.L.

answers from San Francisco on

Can you tell me where I could purchase something like that? I am about to re-decorate my two year old daughters room and your butterflies/fairies sound like a great idea. Thank you - K..

J.K.

answers from Fresno on

Use white tacs. My friend does that a Christmas hanging snowflakes all over from the ceilings.

N.D.

answers from Indianapolis on

I need your help. I'm looking for fairies to hang, but having trouble finding them where do you find yours. need fast thanks N. D.

M.C.

answers from San Francisco on

I don't know if anyone suggested this, but I got it from my 80 yr old mother in law YEARS ago.

Use straight pins (from your sewing kit). I used the ones with flat heads and with small white ball tops. Gently stick it into the ceiling. I stuck mine at an angle, or I would bend the end slightly. Tie a small loop at the end of the fishing line and hang it from the pin. You cannot notice the pins because they are so thin. I do this every year to hang snowflakes at Christmas. The flakes are not paper, they are plastic - so you know the pins actually hold some weight.

Enjoy.

Maternity leave for one year (hooray!) Mom of 1 girl, 3 boys. Wife of 1 tremendous husband and father.

C.L.

answers from San Francisco on

Hi A. can you tell me where you purchased the butterflies and fairies. I would like to get some to add to my duaghters nursery. I have been looking for them. Please email me at ____@____.com
Thanks

D.M.

answers from San Francisco on

My daughter is in college. Like most college students, she and her suitemates like to hang things from the ceiling. They can't use nails or tacks on their white walls and ceilings because they leave marks and holes.

I think it's 3M (red and yellow packaging) that makes removable hooks and stickers. These are fantastic! They have these small clear hooks that would hold the fishing line perfectly, and they remove cleanly if you decide to move them later.

They worked great in the dorms last year. You can even hang the larger hooks on the wall for light jackets and things. I've seen them at Target and Michael's, usually on an endcap or near tapes and hooks.

I think this is what you are looking for. Good luck!

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Command/home/...

A.P.

answers from Sacramento on

A.
You could go to the hardware or Walmart and purchase the tiny white screw in cup hooks. You might have to make a tiny hole in the ceiling with an awl or icepick or something depending on if your ceilings textured or not. You might just be able to screw them in though. Attach your fishing line to them and they'll barely show if at all. That's one way. Good Luck!

N.S.

answers from San Francisco on

can you also let me know where you purchased the decorations from. My daughters have butterflies and lady bugs in their room but not much and I think they would love something hanging from the ceiling. Thanks. ____@____.com

I also like the idea of using the pins, even if it did show I think it would look almost like little specs of silver glitter on the ceiling.

S.H.

answers from San Francisco on

Hello,

I had a butterfly kit where I hung them from the ceiling, but the kit came with double sticky foam squares. They blend in with the ceiling and they do not stick to bad when you are ready to remove them. If you didn't get any with the kit, you should be able to find them at Michael's or Joann's crafts.

Kim

G.H.

answers from Sacramento on

You could hang the butterflies from the ceiling with clear or white push pins or thumb tacks. In this way they would be nearly invisible to the public.
Have a great day.
G. H. (Country Essence)

C.M.

answers from Chico on

Depending on how heavy they are, you could use the old fashioned, white button looking push pins.

K.V.

answers from San Francisco on

Flat white thumb tacks.

Next question: Hanging Tapestry