How to Give a Very Belated Thank You

Well I hate to say it but I totally dropped the ball with thank you notes after my baby boy's shower. He is now nearly 20 months old and I just didn't get it done. I am so much better about the thoughtful touches lately but at that time, I was working full time, and moving into a house and having a baby so waaahh, poor me right??!! Anyway, I really have no excuse, except I didn't do it. Well my mother's boss and his wife have been family friends for years. I babysat their son when he was growing up etc. For my wedding they went all out and when I was late on those thank you cards my mom's boss mentioned that his wife was surprised that she hadn't rec'd a card yet. Needless to say, I got one right out to them and got the rest sent too. So anyway they actually got me a glider rocker for my son's birth and I just cherish it. I have told my mom's boss directly how much it means to me. My sister just passed away and when I was with them talking at her funeral I again told them both that the glider is wonderful and just said that it has been a tremendous blessing. But I still feel bad!! I know the wife is very sensitive about these things. Is there anything I can do to make sure they know how thankful I truly am, or is it too late and I should just let it go? Thanks in advance for any advice!!:)

Morning J.;

O.K. view point from the "Old" man!! Just send them out
now with a little p.s. at the bottom>>sorry didn't send this sooner but life has be rather hectic!!
Most will understand, those that don't can go jump in the
river!! hahahaha
B. C.

It is never too late for a thank you note. I have received one or two very belated thank you cards from friends and family over the years, and I must say I found it very sweet.

I think it is never too late. Just say that this is the first time you have had to even take a breath since the baby has been born, but that is was important to you to let them know how much it meant to you. They will be just as glad to hear now .

As everyone has said, It is NEVER to late to say thank you.
Make it cute, make it YOU. For your mothers boss you can sand them a picture of you and the baby in the chair and let them know how much you have enjoyed the chair. You can even make it cute by telling them you thought you'd give it a test drive to let them know how well it works, hence the explanation foe the lapse of time it took to get them a thank you card. The rest I am sure will be very surprised that you remembered what they gave you. Be thoughtful and meaningful. and while your at it send every one an individual thank you for anything you can think of...they will get the hint that you really do care and you really are grateful for their thoughts and gestures of love.
P>S> sorry for your loss.
God Bless

I think most of us have been in this situation. I think it's never to late to send thank you notes. Just say "This is VERY belated, but"....then just write what you normally would. People will appreciate it.
Also, let your husband write half of them. That's what I did. It will save you time..it's his baby, too!

new moms are overwhelmed, sleep-deprived, and there is always at least ten more things to do. also realize new moms are ususally very sensitive to what others think of them, and are hard on themselves!!!! hey, you wrote the notes, with thanks from the bottom of your heart, and that is what they are supposed to be. forgive yourself and go give that 20 month old a squeeze!

Its never too late. People understand when they are super late, no explination needed.. Think of a cute little saying.

For some of our thank you notes, I would take a crazy photo of "Our life at that moment" our living room in total disaster zone and plop my daughter in the photo dressed all crazy with food all over her face. I just wrote "thank you for the baby blanket" we are still trying to get used to this parenthood thing. Another time I had a photo of her trying to pet the cat while holding a fruit pop.. The cat looked horrified.. Then on the back, I said, Sorry we have been a little crazy here, we have enjoyed the cute outfit you gave us 2 years ago. Really people called and told me they loved it and did not expect a card. They understood what was going on.. Let the guilt go and just do what you can..

People that get up in a wad are not worth the effort.. I am sure you give people a break when they do not send you a thank you note.. As a matter of fact, my SIL freaked cause our daughter did not send her a thank you note last year for a graduation gift...
She and her family have NEVER sent us a thank you note. I also told SIL I was no longer responsible for chasing down an 18 year old woman about thank you notes, so I forwarded the email directly to my daughter and cc'd her aunt..

My condolences on the death of your sister. Now write those notes. It is very late, but you owe them the notes, and it won't ever get any earlier. People will forgive you, stop beating yourself up.

that is a little late, but when I am late on thank you's I do a bit more. If you have a picture of you and your son in the glider you might send it in a letter. Instead of forming it as a strict thank you, send an informative letter. Then at the end mention what a lifesaver the gift had been, since it had been the only way to calm your son down at times. Hope that helps.

Morning J.;

river!! hahahaha
B. C.

I forgot to mention that I turned the thank-you cards into "first anniversary update" cards. That took some of the sting out of the belated part. Maybe your thank-yous can be updates on what your life has been over the last two years and how you've put their gifts to use in that time.
---------------------------------------------------------
Oh, boy, I had the same problem when I got married three years ago. We got married and had the reception three months later. You generally have a year to send out thank-yous, so I was having some special cards made. Well, I became primary caregiver for a terminally ill relative and got caught up in that, and my husband tried to oversee the card project but just couldn't. (I spent some time out of state with this.) Then, we moved into a house, and.... Anyway, I was just about two years getting those things out. I included a note to all that "Due to unforeseen circumstances...", a general explanation that my life had been put on hold for a bit.

I always like to say my thanks to them directly when I first get the gifts and send my notes once I've had a chance to enjoy them, so I can tell them how I'm using them and enjoying them. This way I can send a more meaningful thank-you.

1 / 3