How to Get White Socks Whiter!

Hi everyone! I'm wondering if you moms have any suggestions on how to get my white socks whiter! EVERY TIME I wash our socks, they look like I haven't even washed them! No kidding either. The bottoms of them are so dirty looking. I'm ready to throw them out,but wanted to ask here first. Should I just throw some bleach in there or is there something less abravise and less harsh? THX!

Well these are all good suggestions, but I am truly shocked that no one has mentioned BIZ. Recommended to me by a Duke Chemistry Dr., BIZ is THE MOST AWESOMEST THING EVER!!! For organic stains, it has no equal. Grab a cheapie mop bucket, a cup of Biz and let it sit for 2-3 days (yes, days...). It takes out pee, poo, grass, food, blood, formula and DIRT. If it's organic, this stuff works like a charm!! Whites are white as can be.

I have soaked my socks in a bucket of lemons (acid goes to work), but with a large family, I just keep a bucket in my laundry room and let things soak in Biz for a few days. I have passed this wisdom on to many a happy friend who stocks Biz for these emergencies. Good luck!

My quick trick is to wash my whites with blue jeans, especially ones that are brand new and are going to bleed a little bit. It works well to get that blue white not yellow or gray white. For a complete thorough job I use Mrs. Stewart's Liquid Bluing. It is non-toxic and bio-degadable. Mix a few drops up to 1/3 teaspoon of bluing in a quart of cold water, and add it to wash water or final rinse. It works great. I think I got mine from kmart or walmart a few years back, not sure where you might be able to find it now, but this is the web address.. www.mrsstewart.com
Happy bluing
E.

In a nonaluminum large container, kitchen or laundry sink, put 1 cup powdered dishwasher detergent, 1/4 cup household liquid chlorine bleach and 1 gallon hot water, and mix well until the powder is dissolved. Test for colorfastness of the item on an area that won't show. Place the garments in the solution and soak for five to 10 minutes. If the stains are still there, soak for up to 20 minutes more -- any longer (like overnight) will not work any better! Rinse and launder following the care instructions. That is all there is to it!

This is from Hints from Heloise, it is what our family has been using as long as my mom can remember.

Have you ever tried adding baking soda to your wash water? I add about 1 cup, let agitate for 10-15 minutes then I let them soak for overnight-agitate again for 10-15 minutes drain, and then wash with regular cycle and soap. It sure takes out a lot of the stain, and then in the rinse cycle I add 1 cup of white vinegar to clean out all remaining soap. Sure hope this helps. =)

Hi P.,
I work for a company that manufactures environmentally friendly and SAFE products and they have an awesome laundry detergent, brightener, etc. Please email me at ____@____.com can't buy it in the stores, but it's easy to buy and priced great. Don't use that bleach! Thanks - T. B.

see if u can find a product called orange goop hand cleaner, it usually comes in a hard plastic canister,my husband works on drilling rigs and it gets some pretty nasty stains out,rub it on the stains and wash, hope it works for you

I read somewhere that if you boil a pan of water and then add white vinegar and soak your socks it will get your socks whiter. It is also supposed to get rid of the nasty armpit deoderant stains in the gusy undershirts. Or adding vinegar to the last rinse cycle will help your colors stay bright.

Bleach can yellow them if they say not to bleach. It can react with whiteners in the fabric. I use OxyClean in every wash. Since starting that, our socks (and other things) look a lot better. Shout Advanced does a pretty good job, too. I just got a set in stain out today from some hand-me-downs with those two and Dreft. GL!

1 / 3