How to Get Vaseline Out of Hair

My 2 year old smeared an entire jar of Vaseline in her hair and I cannot get it out. I have tried Cornstarch many times and it does not work. Any other suggestions?

Just about every response I received suggested Dawn diswhashing liquid and I am happy to report it worked!!!! Thank you everyone.

In college I had a friend who thought Vaseline would help her grease her hair back for Greaser night. Well it worked but the only thing that took it out was washing with Dawn dishwashing detergent. It took two times but it was gone.

I know this sounds crazy, but use baby oil. My daughter did this the day before a huge family wedding and I was in a panic. My sister told me to rub baby oil through the spot with the vaseline and blot the oil off. Do it a couple times then wash the hair with regular shampoo. It should be out completely.

I was so scared because it sounded crazy putting a greasy mess in an even more greasy mess but it worked like a charm and she (and I, I mught add) looked beautiful at the wedding and no one even knew what had happened.

Try using dish soap (cuts grease). My son did the same thing - you may have to wash it a few times, but hopefully it'll work. Good luck!

Removing Vaseline

If you apply a little cornstarch to the hair and carefully pat it into the hair, it will absorb some, if not all the vaseline. After you apply the cornstarch you can shampoo it out with a good clarifying shampoo and it should be removed. If the vaseline is not completely removed in the first treatment, it will be removed to the point where one more treatment will remove all of it. Be sure to use warm to hot water in the shampoo. Cold water makes the vaseline worse.

Or you can try putting about 1 teaspoon of baking soda and mixing it with a regular baby shampoo and this should help. Unfortunately Vaseline is petroleum based and can be almost impossible to remove. If the clarifying or baking soda does not work, try using soft tissue to blot the hair and see if that removes some of it.

You can try a good clarifying shampoo like Edwin Paul Classic Shampoo, Vain Peppermint Strip or Philou Green Apple. Or you can try putting about 1 teaspoon of baking soda and mixing it with a regular baby shampoo and this should help. Unfortunately Vaseline is petroleum based and can be almost impossible to remove. If the clarifying or baking soda does not work, try using soft tissue to blot the hair and see if that removes some of it.

Apply a little cornstarch and rub it into the hair, it will absorb some, if not all the vaseline and then you can shampoo it out and it should get better.

Be sure to use warm to hot water. Cold water makes the vaseline worse.

That is some info I found online. You might want to try contacting the company directly to see if they have any miracle cures. Good luck!!!

After trying the other suggestions and you notice the hair a little oily-try a mix of apple cider vinegar and water, spray into hair then shampoo.

I had trouble with oily hair and my sister suggested the above to me.

Gool luck. Take care.
F.

Your daughter sounds like my daughter at her age. My daughter used lotion. It's the oil in the product that makes it n ot come out. I ended up washing her hair with dishwashing soap which cuts the oil and washed it out really nicely. You might have to do it twice, though.

Hi...

These are not tried methods, but maybe a quick wash with dish soap, followed by a gentle shampoo and conditioner. Another thought would be a specialty shampoo for "stripping" product build up off adult hair. Hope something works for you...soon! :-)

My daughter put a whole tube of lip gloss with glitter into her and her brothers hair. After many washings of regular shampoo, a friend suggested Dawn. It still took a few washings, but it did work. We followed up with a good conditioner.

Hope it works!

I will say wash it off over and over with regular shampoo until gone.

1 / 3