How to Get the Smell of Vomit Out of Furniture

My son threw up on our couch and we can't get the smell out. We used a Bissell steam cleaner and it helped, but there is still a faint trace of the smell. New couches are not an option right now! What can we do?

Sprinkle with baking soda, let sit for 15 minutes and then vacuum. Repeat if needed.

Mom of Twins
www.babybearsden.com

Mom of Twins
www.babybearsden.com

Anyway you can take your couch outside and let it sit in the sun for a bit? If you have cleaned every nook and cranny, the only thing left is "time".

Spray it with hydrogen peroxide, let it bubble until it stops, blot it up. Repeat a few times if needed.

Or sprinkle with baking soda, spray with just a little vinegar, and wipe away with a damp rag after it stops bubbling.

Go to Petsmart and get Simple Solution. Walmart has it too but its called Out. You can add this to the steam cleaner but I would just pour some directly on the couch. Works great but you may need to treat the couch several times. I use it all the time when my daughter spills milk on the couch and it never gets that sour milk smell.

I've heard that coffee beans can absorb smells. Many grocery stores have a "gourmet" coffee area where you can directly dispense the beans. You don't need much. Set the beans out in small bowls around/under the couch for a few days.
But don't try this if you can't stand the smell of coffee!! lol

I would put baking soda on the spot/area - then soak a washcloth in vinegar - pour a LITTLE vinegar on the baking soda and let it set for 5 minutes, use the soaked (wringed out of course) wash cloth to wipe up the mess...

vacuum again or steam clean!!

My husband (bless him) says - get rid of the smell? Open up a bottle of bleach - take a whiff - won't be able to smell anything for a couple of hours!! URGH!! My husband!! :)

I would try the baking soda idea.
Also, do your cushions detach? If so, after you clean them can you place them in the sun to air out.
In addition to that, how about spraying around the area w/Febreeze? (that is more temporary but maybe if you do all 3 things....?

Use the pet enzyme stuff, like Nature's Miracle, or Anti-Icky-Poo, or a similar product.

Enzyme products work, but you need to saturate it. My cat peed on my son's foam pad the other day, and I had to pour it on, not just spray. But it will work for vomit, too. I use it for my cat's vomit all the time.

Just test a small patch somewhere inconspicuous to make sure it won't harm the color. It usually doesn't.

1 / 3