How to Get Tar Out of the Dryer

My husband got tar on the bottom of his jeans (long story) and he put them in the laundry basket. I wasn't paying much attention and I put the jeans in the washer and then the dryer. Imagine my shock when I took the clothes out of the dryer and there were bits of tar stuck all over the dryer. The tar melted off the jeans onto the dryer surface and the clothes. What should I use to get the tar off the dryer? I tried Clorox wipes and it didn't work. There must be something that works so please help!!

I used baby oil because we had it in the house. It worked beautifully and my dryer is now tar-free. Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions!

If spray and wash doesn't work, dry cleaning will, THIS IS FOR THE CLOTHES. You don't have to have the clothes pressed, but just "cleaned only" so it won't be as expensive. FOR THE DRYER, TRY POLISH REMOVER OR VINEGAR Good luck, K.

Similar thing happened to me except it was a crayon. I used "Oops" and wiped it off with an old washcloth. No more problem! Goo-gone is also good.

go to the store and get a bottle of liquid lighter fluid...the kind that you would use to fill up a zippo lighter its in a yellow bottle. It works wonders on removing tar it even says it on the bottle! After you get it off goback over it with soap and water and let the dryer air out for a while that should take care of any of the fumes or flamable stuff left.

Try the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser - I have used it to get ink, buble gum, and putty out of my dryer and it really does work like magic! Good luck -

I live on Padre Island & know the woes of tar! Baby oil will do it for ya in a snap!

L. ,
go to auto store they sell tar remover that will do the trick ,,,but then you will need to refresh your dryer you could try peroxide first it works mircles
good luck L.

baby oil works great. if you use anything oily to remove the tar, make sure you clean that out really good or you'll have oily spots on your cloths next. by the way... baby oil will get rid of any sticky stuff and works wonders on getting eye make-up off too!

When we were kids we would go to a beach that had been poluted and we got tar on our feets. they had set up stations with showers and a soap dispencer to wash off you feet before going to the condo. it was all ouside and right off the board walk. try some soap and water. I AGREE DONT EVER PUT ANYTHING FLAMABLE IN THE HOT DRYER. even if you think that you got it all out our dryer has holes and creases places that i would never get clean from flamable products. good luck. also call a drycleaner and ask them or a repair place.

Tar is an oil try baby oil. Be sure and use a soapy rag to get any other oils out before you use it again. Hope this works for you. I know it works on other things never used it in the dryer before. Good luck

1 / 3