How to Get Rid of the Pacifier?

My 2 and a half year old loves his pacifier, and sometimes he carries around more than one. I really want to break this habit. He is a very strong willed little boy. I don't let him take it outside and have tried hiding them during the day but he is very demanding... I tried one night to have him go with out it and he cried all night long. If any of you have suggestions it would be much appriciated.
Thank you, C.

I too, have a "strong-willed" child!! I talked to him about the "Binky-Fairy". This wonderful fairy comes in the middle of the night and replaces the pacifier with something else. A favorite toy, much wanted basseball glove etc. then the fairy takes the pacifier back to the other babies who have just been born or are in need of a pacifier. This helps him to transition into the "big-boy" mode and understand that only Babies NEED to have pacifiers. I started talking to my son about this wonderful fairy on 2-days before she came!! I didn't want the anxiety to build too much or for him to be afraid. He had some tears, but re-adjusted just fine within the week!! The trick is to NOT give in! Get rid of all the pacifiers so he won't "accidentally" find one and all should go well!

Good luck and I hope this will help!

Hello C., I saw something on tv a few years ago, showing how they told the child that the pacifier fairy was collecting for needy children on the other side of the world. They did a cerimony then tied the pacifiers to a bundel of ballons and released them into the sky so that they would float to the babies who had no pacies at all. And then the big boy gets to go celebrate his being able to grow up with a trip to the dollar store or dessert. Good luck.

Good luck and I hope this will help!

I had the same problem...

IF yours is hollow and the is no kind of filling inside, this may work for you. I worked great at our house.

I cut off a little bit of the tip every couple of days. It just got smaller and smaller and didn't feel so comfortable anymore. My daughter was very attached to hers. She did complain about it. I just said she a big girl and used it so long, it was tired and worn out. When it was down to a nub, one day she got mad at it, went to the trash and threw it away.

Obviously, avoid the area of the stores that sell more of them. If your child asks to go buy one, go to a store that doesn't carry your style of pacifier. We did do that once. It sounds stupid to play that game, I know. I just thought it was easier than being the bad guy, arguing, and everyone in the house frustrated. Choose your battles.

We had a few around the house...find as many as poss. ahead of time and get them out of sight. We did find one here a there weeks later and had to go thru the process again, but it was much easier...she was pretty much out of the dependency of it.

Hope this helps. These pacifiers and thumbs are very comforting. This is hard on them. I stopped sucking my thumb around five...I remember, very well, the difficulty giving it up. I wanted to be a big girl, but I found it SO comforting. This is probably why I wanted her to toss hers out herself vs. me forcing it. I probably remember too well. :)

I am a nurse on the Mother Baby Unit at my hospital. One day when I was working in the nursery, a visitor came up to the door with her son... the mother said that her son had something for me. The little boy proceeded to hand me a large zip lock bag full of his pacifiers & he said "these are for all the babies so they won't cry." Right away, I knew what was going on as the mom smiled and winked at me. I then thanked the little boy repeatedly and told him that I would wash them up right away and give them to the babies (not really) and that it was so nice that a big boy like him would give those up to make the babies happy!
The visitor told me later that she told her son that big boys don't use pacifiers, they use cups and that he got a very special cup to mark the event. Good luck!

In an earlier posting today, I talked about the bink fairy coming to our house - she took the bink to a child who needed it and left a wanted toy for my son. It works!

If you have a friend or family member with a new baby, have your child take it to them, as the new baby will need it more. Of course, they will throw it away for you once you leave. Depending on timing, you could also leave it out for Santa, so that he can deliver it to babies who don't have binks. Both have worked for us. Either way though, it has to be forced by the parent. Children are resiliant, they will overcome it. Have faith! :)

Cold Turkey!!! I have a 5 yr old, 3 yr old, and 1 yr old, and I never let them have a pacifier past age 1. I realized that at age 2 yours is a little more attached, but it's the best way to go. You will have a rough couple of days, but before you know it, your child won't even realize it's gone. In fact, I just took my sons 2 months ago and we had a rough week...the car was the worst, bedtime was a breeze! He was actually the hardest to cut off, but I am very happy to be sans it now!

My 3 yr old daughter had 2 favorite blankets...I hate "lovey's, but they were the only blankets she'd sleep with. She was not allowed to take them in ANYWHERE, except the car as they'd help her nap if we were in there for an extended period of time. Anyway, I just took them COLD TURKEY 3 days ago. She was very attached to the blankets! The first day she cried at bedtime for like 30 minutes, then then next day she just asked a few times, and yesterday she asked once. She didn't get upset when I told her they were gone, I think she was just making sure I wasn't going to magically change my mind and give them back.

You'll make it, you just have to realize that they won't die without these items, and in the end it's the best for everyone.

At 2 1/2 years we had a "graduation" ceremony in which my daughter threw *all* of the pacifiers in the trash. We praised her and told her she was a big girl now. At bedtime we had to remind her that the pacifiers were gone [that night wasn't easy!]. After that we just had to remind her that she didn't need them and they were all gone anyway.

Not nearly as bad as I'd feared, but you have to stick to the fact that they're *gone*. And be prepared for some tears. Good luck!

1 / 3