How to get rid of milky smell in sippy cups?

I have to hand wash all of my boys sippy cups and no matter how long I soak them, they have that stinky milk smell when they're dry. I only use natural cleaning products so I've tried adding a little vinegar to the dishwater but not sure it did anything. Any advice besides pitching them and buying new ones? On that note, is there a time period that you're supposed to keep them?

Summary

Some moms used an actual little craft pipe cleaner to clean all the little crevices inside the spout, some suggested boiling them lightly in vinegar water would help break up stubborn dried milk. If nothing works, you might want to replace them.

Thank you so much to everyone who responded. It was all very helpful! I ended up pouring boiling water into a hot water dishtub, adding lemons and white vinegar, and soaking the cups and pieces for 4 hours. It worked great!
As for different types of cups, I never thought of it and haven't heard of many of the suggestions. Thanks so much for the heads up; I'll be checking them out!!

I had the same problem with my 2 year old twins. Their cups just seemed to be nasty all the time. First I tried a few different kinds of cups and finaly found one that seemed better then the ones I had been using, and now I boil them for 5 mins (just like bottles) about once a week. It seems to have worked.
Congradulations on the new baby.

I used an actual little craft pipe cleaner to clean all the little crevices inside the spout. Perhaps boiling them lightly in vinegar water would help break up stubborn dried milk. I also used certain cups for certain things: they had milk cups, juice cups, and water cups. I think that helped.

After washing them, make sure they are dry and then put crumpled up newspaper in the cup with the lid on and let it set overnight, that should take some or most of the stink out.

Hi C.! I was so happy to see people recommending the Kleen Kanteen! Another stainless steel option is Sigg but at this time I think they are all backordered. Both options are very light weight and great for kids.
I would say for the sippys that you have now....chuck them! The plastics are probably breaking down and that is why you can't get the stink out of them.
Congrats on your growing family!

boil them in a big pot of water...

My advice would be to soak them with a baking soda solution over night. As for as long to keep them, keep them until they wear out as you would any other cup. I hope this helps.

I would check the valves if you are using a nonspill one. We had that problem and now we don't use the hard kind that need the valves in the lid to stop the spillage

One thing I do fro my sons cups that helps is that I use the little metal wire brushes that come w/ Brown bottles to clean the little crevics on the lids that nasty milk builds up in. You can buy the brushes separate for like $3.99 for 3 of them, they work GREAT!!!! It saves so much time and cleans cups way better. Hope that helps

Hi C.!

I have triplet boys (almost 22 mos)! I hope you're feeling okay with being pregnant again. I think I would have gone insane if I had gotten pregnant again so soon.

I haven't had any problems with stinky sippy cups (unless they get left in the car for a week), because as soon as my boys are done drinking I rinse them out then wash them at the end of the day (we have 2 or 3 per boy). I also don't let them tug them around the house so they are laying around for hours without me knowing where they are. I only let them drink in their high chairs or sitting at the table.

You may just want to buy some new ones and then make sure to round them up within an hour or so of handing them out to rinse or wash right then and there.

Dana

1 / 3