How to Get Rid of Geckos in the House - Advice Urgently Needed

I recently moved moved to Dallas and hope that somebody can help me... I'm renting a house which has been standing empty for a few months before my move-in and which has geckos inside (I found that out after the move-in). I already had the exterminator come and spray the house inside, under the roof, outside as well as the lawn. Thankfully, we only found dead spiders and bugs, but nothing worse after the exterminator in the house. Still, I find a gecko in my house every few days. I WANT TO GET RID OF THEM. I hate them. The exterminator says I simply have to wait until the geckos realize there's no more food for them in the house and leave. Is there anything else I can do to get rid of them??? TIA!!!

I fell in love with geckos when I visited in Hawaii. I looked into buying a couple of geckos to have as pets but found they are way too expensive for me. And you have them for free. Sometimes life just isn't fair. lol

Gecko's can be a good thing - you may not like them - but they eat spiders, mosquitos, gnats and such! :)

if the exterminator says he can't do anything - I don't know what to tell you.

I love geckos and the little green guys---those are called green anoles. Geckos come out at night and green anoles are the lizards you see in the daytime.
They are awesome and they are there b/c their food source was in your house. When they are outside of your house, they keep the critters from getting in! So you could have a house full of spiders and ants and FLEAS - ewwww! (like we did when we moved in---house was vacant for 2.5 months) or a few lizards.

When a lizard gets stuck in our house, we carefully shoe them into a brown paper lunch sack. They want to hide, so brown lunch sack works great.
Then carefully gather up the top of the sack and take it outdoors under a bush or tree and set the sack down. The lizard can get out and he will happily stay outdoors. Love the lizards!

don't hate the geckos... LOVE the geckos because they are eating all the bugs!! I find them in my garage about once a week and in my house about once a month. I let them go about their way because they normally scurry back to wherever they came from as soon as I see them.

They are your friend... leave them alone. They'll stop coming in the house once they realize all the food is outside...

Awe, I love geckos, and they are quite harmless and adorable! The best way to get rid of them is a cat. Really though, they are a blessing, they keep any bugs at bay. Learn to embrace the gecko.

This may just be me, but while I know cats and some dogs (particularly terriers, it is what they were bred to do) can be great at getting rid of pests and vermin, I'm not down with the whole idea of getting a pet just for the sole purpose of MAYBE solving what is most likely a temporary problem. Pets are a lifelong commitment and should be adopted because you truly want their companionship and are prepared to incur all the expenses and responsibilities that come with such a privilege. There is no guarantee that they are going to be good hunters and if they happen to be, once the geckos and lizards are gone, then what? Sorry to get on my soap box, but while our cats have always done a better job at getting rid of mice than any trap we've ever bought, I didn't get them just to take care of our mouse problem - that was a bonus. I would agree that once the geckos realize there is no food in the house, they will probably move on. Or you can try humanely trapping them and releasing them outside far from your home. Or you can decide to coexist with them and let them continue to get rid of the bugs for free, and no toxic chemicals are necessary. I've had a few pet owner clients over the years who owned chickens and guinea hens and said they never had a problem with ticks on their dogs because the birds kept the yard picked clean.

You already got great advice.You are going to have to wait it out and enjoy the free service they provide.
When we moved into our house we saw one outside and where thrilled because we knew it would mean less money wasted on exterminators. Well my husband caught one at work a few weeks later. He brought it home and we let it go near where we had seen the first one. Apparently we got lucky and one was male and the other female. We are currently up to about a dozen of the cute little critters. The huge bonus is we have very few bugs in the house. None of the geckos have made it in the house besides when we have brought them in to look at them or play with them for a few minutes. We let them go back outside.

How sad. I totally loved the lizards when we lived in California!! I miss them so much.

1 / 3