How to get rid of break outs causes by drooling in infant?

My 5 month old son drools...A LOT. Along with the drool, he loves to chew on his hands. He wears a bid anytime he is awake and I have taken to wiping his hands and anything he touches every chance I get because he is touching everything and leaving a drool trail. While he is awake I can keep him pretty dry, but when he sleeps I take off the bid and he immediatly rolls to his tummy. While I know he should sleep on his back, no matter how many times we roll him back over, he puts himself tummy down...so I have stopped fighting him. The problem is that when he sleeps he still drools and now he is sleeping in drool puddles and drool wet spots. He has now broken out on his face and neck area. I am not sure if there is something I need to do besides try and keep him dry and clean. Any suggestions would be great. The breakout doesn't seem to bother him but I don't want it to get to the point where it does and becomes a bigger problem.

Summary

Some moms suggested to put a thick coating of Aquafor on his face before bedtime. This will act as a barrier and keep his face dry - and heal it at the same time and also make sure his face is dry as much as possible and clean with a warm wash cloth. If it persists, consult with your pediatrician.

my 8 month old daughter drools like crazy too and always has so I totally understand what you are going through! He could be teething early! It does get better. My daughter always sleeps on her tummy and if they can roll over and move their heads from side to side then you should not have a problem! Good luck sweetie!

We just put a little vaseline around our son's cheeks and chin because he did the same thing. It worked perfectly.

We had the same problem with our child who sucks her thumb. Lots of drool and breakouts on her chin/cheeks. It's just because the skin is staying damp. Dry him off, then rub a little vaseline or aquaphor on the areas that get break-outs to protect his skin form the wetness. I'd do it before naps and bed time. Note: Aquaphor is petroleum jelly (vaseline) with lanolin in it -- some people can be allergic to lanolin, so you're safest with plain old vaseline.

my 8 mo old twin boys have a similar problem. dr said we could treat with Aquaphor, which is a great cream to have around your house; it's like a liquid bandaid. I don't think it is intended to "cure" the current redness; rather it provides a coating to keep the face from getting wet. My boys' problem is not bad enough to do that, but you might try it. It's a good cream also if they have a really really bad diaper rash.

I would also put a thick coating of Aquafor on his face before bedtime as another mother noted. This will act as a barrier and keep his face dry - and heal it at the same time and also make sure his face is dry as much as possible and clean w/a warm wash cloth.

Hi H.! Your poor baby! I'm sure it's no fun to see your little angel with break-outs! I wanted to HIGHLY recommend trying Arbonne's Baby Care line! I would recommend using the ABC Hair and Body wash at each bath time. That will probably clear it up on it's own. But, I would also recommend the ABC Baby Lotion to help protect his skin at night as well. If it's really bad, I would also recommend using the ABC body oil during the day to clear it up immediately. These are the only products I use on my son (who is now almost 3). I absolutely LOVE Arbonne products because they include no mineral oil, animal products or by-products, and no chemical dyes or fragrances. The reason why they don't include these ingredients is because they are highly allergenic. So, the ABC line is wonderful for babies extremely delicate and sensitive skin. You'll love it too! If you'd like to try a free sample, please let me know. I'd be happy to drop one off for you, or send one in the mail. Just let me know!
Sincerely,
M. O.
Executive Area Manager and Independent Consultant
Arbonne International
www.mandyolsen.myarbonne.com
###-###-####

Aquaphor as a barrier cream will help mucho!

I would just put a thick coating of Aquafor on his face before bedtime. This will act as a barrier and keep his face dry - and heal it at the same time.

1 / 3