How to Get Oil Stains Out of Clothing

Does anyone know how to get oil (like olive oil) out of clothes. My son spilled some on his favorite shorts and i've tried to oxi clean them and my usual remedy of getting stubborn stains out but no luck. Any tips???

Hi N.---I agree with the dish soap remedy. I had a blouse with a butter stain on it. Took it to the dry cleaners and they suggested plain old dishwashing soap. It is designed to 'cut the grease', right?

I find that dish soap (not dishwasher detergent) works great on oil. I use it just like any other stain remover.

Hope it comes out!

Hope it comes out!

I use VIVID, a small amount on the spot let it soak and seems to do the trick on most things. It even worked on the green spot my daughter got on her new peach shirt.

I had a tinted lip balm melt all over a load of laundry (thank goodness it was a small load) a year ago and used a paste of baking soda and Dawn dish soap and soaked the clothes for an house and ran them through a full wash cycle on hot.

Presoak with Lestoil for several hours. There may be a residual smell at first, but it does not stay after a second wash. Also, you may try Oxyclean.

try awesome from the dollar store it has worked for me in the past you can delute it but i used it as a full strength spray

N. ~
be careful...dishwashing detergent usually has bleach in it, so might bleach out the spot.
Dawn dish soap works great on grease/oil stains

hey N.
colgate toothpaste the whitte stuff works well on oils stains

Lestoil works well. It has a bad odor, but does the trick and the odor fades after drying. I found mine in the cleaning section of Meijer.

1 / 3