How to Get Oil Stains Out of Clothing

Does anyone know how to get oil (like olive oil) out of clothes. My son spilled some on his favorite shorts and i've tried to oxi clean them and my usual remedy of getting stubborn stains out but no luck. Any tips???

Hi N.---I agree with the dish soap remedy. I had a blouse with a butter stain on it. Took it to the dry cleaners and they suggested plain old dishwashing soap. It is designed to 'cut the grease', right?

I find that dish soap (not dishwasher detergent) works great on oil. I use it just like any other stain remover.

Hope it comes out!

Hope it comes out!

I use VIVID, a small amount on the spot let it soak and seems to do the trick on most things. It even worked on the green spot my daughter got on her new peach shirt.

I had a tinted lip balm melt all over a load of laundry (thank goodness it was a small load) a year ago and used a paste of baking soda and Dawn dish soap and soaked the clothes for an house and ran them through a full wash cycle on hot.

Presoak with Lestoil for several hours. There may be a residual smell at first, but it does not stay after a second wash. Also, you may try Oxyclean.

try awesome from the dollar store it has worked for me in the past you can delute it but i used it as a full strength spray

N. ~
be careful...dishwashing detergent usually has bleach in it, so might bleach out the spot.
Dawn dish soap works great on grease/oil stains

hey N.
colgate toothpaste the whitte stuff works well on oils stains

Lestoil works well. It has a bad odor, but does the trick and the odor fades after drying. I found mine in the cleaning section of Meijer.

I wish I had an answer to your question. I'm wondering the same. I squirted a suppliment of Fish Oil on my best shirt. I haven't even tried to get it out. I'm anxiously waiting for your answer so I can try it too. Good luck.

Hi N.,
I use a wonderful dish detergent called Ajax to get stuborn satins out of clothing. You could also try Dawn dish soap. I stick with the Ajax, because it works great, and it cost less!! This also works wonders on all kinds of stains. (I've used it to get out everything from chocolate to blood on any artical of clohing that I own.)
Hope it works for you.
C. O.

If Dawn dish detergent doesn't work, good all shampoo should -- it is a de-greaser!

It has a bad odor, but Lestoil works really well. I just wash it twice and the odor is normally gone.

I use Shout spray on this like this, scrub it with a toothbrush, then wash with warm water, oxiclean and detergent. You can put detergent right on the spot, you can soak overnight, you can wash more than once but don't use the dryer until you're sure it's all out.

make a paste out of powder dishwashing detergent. Place on stain overnight. Wash next morning.
Worked for me. Good Luck.

Try soaking in a bowl of cold water and oxiclean powder for 24 hours. This usually works on most stains for me if I catch them right away. Good luck!

I use Lestoil. I just take the peice of clothing (where the stain is) and cover the opening of the Lestoil and tilt to dampen the area. Like when you get nail polish remover out of the container. It does have a smell but I have not noticed the smell once the clothes have been washed and I have even dumped the Lestoil on several places. I don't know if your stain will come out though. You said you washed it, id you dried it too I think the dryer "set" the stain. Give the lestoil a shot anyway, can't hurt!

N.- Spray and wash stain stick works on everything-I have used it to get out ink, food, blood, grease, everything. Just apply the stick and wash-I don't even scrub the stains and it has worked everytime-you can also put it on the stain then put the item in the hamper-when you are ready to do your clothes the stain will come right out, even a week later-awesome-

I would use Murphys oil soap and awesome, my mom taught me that trick and it works well with most oil based stains even grease from the shop :) Good luck

Totally Toddler, its amazing!