How to Get My 7 Month Old to Eat Solids...

We started feeding our 7 month old rice cereal at 4 months. She did really good with it at first and ate it on a regular basis. Then we took her to her 6 month dr. appointment and he told us some other foods we could start feeding her. I tried applesauce and she ate it so good the first time and then the next day when I tried to give her more she wouldn't eat it. Now she won't eat any solid foods at all. She just closes her mouth and turns her head back and forth. She won't even take a bottle so I have to just nurse her all the time. Don't get me wrong, I love nursing and am going to continue it until she's 1, but I just thought that by 7 months she should be eating at least one meal a day if not two of solid foods. And since she will only nurse and eat nothing else my husband and I can't leave her to go do anything unless it's something that we can be back in 2-3 hours so I can feed my baby again. It's rough...any ideas?

My doctor told us not to push solids. But, she did give us some ideas on what to do since my baby was not really interested in solids either.
First we tried out barley cereal. He loves it because it is so much sweeter than rice.
She told us it was okay if he only at a couple of bites at a time.. he also was more interested in what we were eating. So I would crush peas or bananas on my plate and he at those a lot better. He also eats really well if he is feeding himself. So I buy those little Gerber finger foods...the sweet potato puffs and such. He loves them. He started eating baby food solids a lot better and was much more interested by the time he was about 9 or 10 months old. Now he is 11 months, and although he doesn't eat as much solids as other babies his age. I just let him eat what and when he is interested. Good luck! Oh, and my baby food schedule says that you don't cut out the milk/or formula and replace with solids. They still love to wash their food down with a drink, they just might not drink as much, but still will have a few ounces. So solids just add to the diet.

My son wouldn't take solids until he was 9 months old. He had no interest and since it was frustrating to fight him on it and then to throw away all the wasted food I gave up trying for awhile. By 9 months he was willing to eat a few things and now 2 months later he is almost entirely on solids. She will let you know when she's ready and although it may be frustrating to not be able to leave her with anyone right now keep in mind that this stage will pass and she will soon be very independent!

Give her a week to relax again. Then try it. If you push her, she could turn into a picky eater and trust me you don't want that! Take it on her cue. As rough as it is to take orders from a 7 month old, she is in charge of her, she knows what she needs and wants.

As far as leaving her, relax and take her with you. At 7 months she not too much of a distraction. They grow up SO fast. Enjoy her while you can! 3 of my 4 kids never took a bottle. My oldest in now 11 years old. Just love them and keep them close. Because at 11, they want their space.

This sounds just like my second daughter. I found making it different really helped. The more often you try something, the more it becomes normal and comfotable to them. For my little girl I bought a safety feeder (picture a net rattle with a handle that locks closed). She absolutely loved bananas put in that and then she could mash and suck the fruit out herself. After a few weeks she was eating a wide variety of fruits and veges from the feeder or spoon. I think she just liked the independence of doing it herslf, sitting on my lap (of course!). They sell those feeders on line and at babies r us. Good Luck!

Hi M. E
I am a mom of 6 wonderful children. It is so hard with your first baby. Don't give up. First of all, don't feed your baby every 2-3 hours. That's too often. She is controlling you - I know that sounds wierd but it's true. She is getting older now and it's ok to let her wait for awhile. That just makes her hungier. Which is what you want. I used to put some breast milk in some baby rice cereal at night. That helped them sleep longer and give me more rest. I think the key is to let her get good and hungry. She might fuss but don't cave in. It's ok. The one who it will bother most is you. Let your husband watch her for awhile and you go for a walk just to get out of hearing range. Also you can put her in her bed to let her fuss for awhile. This was the hardest thing for me because I thought I was being mean if I let them cry. Crying doesn't hurt. It's not like you will let her cry for hours. But you will let her work up to being hungry. Don't force solids - it will come. I promise. The thing that is hard too is that you get exhausted! Try the rice cereal for awhile. Just with a spoon. She will probably spit it out but if she is HUNGRY she will respong. Don't stress. There will come a time when she won't breast-feed anymore and then you will be kind of sad. Your doing a good job. The more rest you can get by not nursing every 2-3 hours will help clear your head and help you. I would suggest trying to have her go 4 hours. Just make sure you can express milk so you don't get engorged. That is really importsnt. Hang in there! There really is light at the end of the tunnel!

Don't feel like she is not going to eat that food at different time just because she refused once. These foods are new in flavor and in texture to her. as well, just because she ate it the first time does not mean she will the next. Keep introducing it to her for several days, it will take time for her to get use to eating different food.

One thing you can do since you know she likes the cereal, is to give her cereal and the new food in the same meal. This will give her a familiar flavor with the new flavor.

As well, you should be sure not to introduce a second food until she has tried the first one several times. The general rule of thumb is to start with veggies first, going through several of those, then doing the fruits after that. If you do the fruits first often babies acquire a "sweet tooth" and will not try the veggies.

Sounds rough ... any chance she might be teething?

I had a daughter exactly like that. She would never eat baby food. She would fight it, and if I got any in her mouth she would gag. I tried just giving her what ever we were eating that was soft enough for her, like green beans from a can broken up small. She loved it. I know sometimes we feel like if it doesn't say "baby food" on the package, that they will choke or overdose on salt or sugar or something, but in my experience baby's seem to be very good at maneuvering things in their mouths, and my daughter was used to eating regular food, and wasn't as picky of an eater later on as my son who was raised on baby food. However, I wouldn't leave her unsupervised, and I definately wouldn't put any additional salt or sugar on the food. Any way, I guess my advise is to try giving her the soft stuff that you eat, in small pieces.

I feel for you. My babies hated bottles and went straight to sippy cups. I am going to join the chorus of people saying not to worry about the food. Your baby knows what she needs and right now that's mommy's breastmilk. My children also hated baby food from a jar. My suggestion to you is to have her sit with you at the dinner table when you are eating your regular meals. Perhaps have something handy on your plate that you could dish on to her plate-- like mashed yams. My kids much preferred eating what we ate.

Also, try this-- just put food in front of her and let her feed herself. If this is a control battle, then let her have the control of raising a rubber coated spoon or a gooped up finger to her own mouth. Just provide it for her. This worked great for me.

If she can hold a toy, she can hold a spoon and you certainly know she can put her fingers in her mouth. This also saves you the need to feed her yourself-- other than the breastfeeding of course.

1 / 3