How to Get Mold Smell Out of Wood?

Three months ago my kitchen sink was leaking just a little bit around the seal. I did not notice it for some time -- actually until I smell the musty odor. The small leak has now been fixed so the wooden area under the sink is no longer getting wet.

My problem is that mold has grown in the moist wood and I cannot get rid of all of it or the odor. The area is very dry now but every time I open that cupboard it smells very musty.

I have scrubbed the area many times with a bleach solution and let it dry but that has not helped with the odor but it did get rid of the surface mold.

Does anyone have any ideas?

A temproary fix is to paint the inside of the cupboard with a product called KIllz. I moved into a place that had many cats prior and the landlord painted the floor under the carpet with this stuff and the place no longer smelled like cat pee (after the carpet was replaced)

I'm afraid to say it, but sounds like you're going to need to replace the wood.

If it's just the area on the bottom, it should be fairly easy to do...but make sure to check the floor underneath it for water damage also.

After having to consult mold experts (we had toxic mold in the walls of the last house we rented, caused by a leak in the plumbing that had been fixed ages before), we found that the high humidity in the W. Washington area can actually keep established mold alive and growing even if a leak has been fixed. If you just cover an area up, you'll be risking having the mold spread into the rest of your wood & drywall in the house.

Remember :

- If you can smell it...you're inhaling spores. (The toxic kind is RARE, but inhaling other kinds of mold aren't great for us either.)
- Wood rot sucks. It's better to replace a small thing now (and check to make sure no structural elements got hit), than to deal with a larger problem later.

www.thisoldhouse.com has many useful articles, both about replacing damaged elements, and about mold (much of the reconstruction of Katrina has to deal with this pervasive issue).

~Z.

You got some great ideas, but my strong opinion is to remove the wood. Mold grows very quickly into porous areas and can cause serious health problems including death.

I find that most people are lazy and cheap and want to take the easy way out. Treating the wood is only putting a band-aid on the issue. The mold may even have gone as far as the sheetrock and there you have another problem and that's dry rot.

Take careful consideration for you and your childs' health and replace the wood and check for dry rot.

Be well.

I'd try painting it with KILZ. It's a simple primer found at Wal-Mart or Home Depot.

I don't think it's just a smell issue - you probably need to remove all the wood that had molded, check behind it for trapped mold, remove anything that is moldy and replace it. It can spread and is not good - not good for you, and would be red-flagged in a home inspection if you sold your house. You don't want it compromising the structure of your house, or other parts of your kitchen, and just covering it up or getting rid of the smell will not remedy the problem. Good luck!

You have to replace the wood. That is not what you want to hear. If you don't replace the wood, the smell will grow and get worse. Washing it is the worse thing you can do. You will have to find a handy man or carpenter to replace it. Make sure he replaces all of the soft wood. Otherwise it will spread.

I would try using a sealer/primer product. I have used "Kilz" and have had wonderful results. I used to work as a property manager and we have used "Kilz" many times. Be sure to ventilate the area very well. Once the paint is dry you shouldn't have any more issues with the smell. For a job this size I would purchase the "Kilz" in an aerosol can. You should be able to find it at the Homedepot or Fred Meyers. Good Luck! K.

We had a similar problem...used Kilz (comes in spray or paint form) found in the paint section of Home Depot and it worked perfectly!

1 / 3