How to Get Marker off of a Chalkboard Surface...

I have one of those 2 sided easels with chalkboard on on side and dry erase on the other. So needless to say, I have marker all over the chalkboard side. And now the chalk won't stick! HELP! is there anything that will work. I have already tried the Magic Eraser and that didn't work. Come one, come all old wives tales.

I don't know of any home made remedies but I know what you are talking about. I have one of those easels with chalkboard on one side and dry erase on the other. I have cleaner for the dry erase board and it cleans up the dry erase markers from the chalkboard very nicely. Office Max or some other place like Walmart should have it. It's specifically for dry erase boards...it's a cleaner that comes in a spray bottle. A little bit on a paper towel will remove that marker from the chalkboard.

We had the same problem. Paint thinner took it right off the chalkboard side. On the whiteboard there was permanent marker stains and it took it off that too! No scrubbing at all. Make sure to clean with soap and water after.

Updated

Try the paint that is like a chalkboadr- if you paint a section of your wall with it for example, it turns into a chalkboard and you can write on it and wipe it off. Then you can just paint over it if you have this problem again. It's probably like $12 a can or something. I see it on TV all of the time in kids rooms and kitchens. Good luck!

You can refinish the chalboard side with chalboard paint, available at Home Depot (Free advertising):)

The magic eraser is truly magical. Try that.

Not quite sure about any cleaners, but I do know that they sell chalkboard paint and you could just paint over it and it will be brand new.

Rubbing alcohol will take it out. Moisten - not dampen - a cloth and rub in circles. Repeat with a water soaked cloth to rinse. You may need to do it a few times, but it will work. And FYI - if you ever get permanent marker on the dry erase side, write over the perm w/ a dry erase pen and erase it. Clean w/ alcohol to remove any residue & dry.

Have you tried rubbing alcohol? That will sometimes work with marker on plastic, but I'm not sure how that would work on a porous surface. =0) It's worth a try, though. You might even be able to get it off with the clorox wipes/clorox anywhere.

1 / 3