How to Get Marker off of a Chalkboard Surface...

I have one of those 2 sided easels with chalkboard on on side and dry erase on the other. So needless to say, I have marker all over the chalkboard side. And now the chalk won't stick! HELP! is there anything that will work. I have already tried the Magic Eraser and that didn't work. Come one, come all old wives tales.

I don't know of any home made remedies but I know what you are talking about. I have one of those easels with chalkboard on one side and dry erase on the other. I have cleaner for the dry erase board and it cleans up the dry erase markers from the chalkboard very nicely. Office Max or some other place like Walmart should have it. It's specifically for dry erase boards...it's a cleaner that comes in a spray bottle. A little bit on a paper towel will remove that marker from the chalkboard.

We had the same problem. Paint thinner took it right off the chalkboard side. On the whiteboard there was permanent marker stains and it took it off that too! No scrubbing at all. Make sure to clean with soap and water after.

Updated

Try the paint that is like a chalkboadr- if you paint a section of your wall with it for example, it turns into a chalkboard and you can write on it and wipe it off. Then you can just paint over it if you have this problem again. It's probably like $12 a can or something. I see it on TV all of the time in kids rooms and kitchens. Good luck!

You can refinish the chalboard side with chalboard paint, available at Home Depot (Free advertising):)

The magic eraser is truly magical. Try that.

Not quite sure about any cleaners, but I do know that they sell chalkboard paint and you could just paint over it and it will be brand new.

Rubbing alcohol will take it out. Moisten - not dampen - a cloth and rub in circles. Repeat with a water soaked cloth to rinse. You may need to do it a few times, but it will work. And FYI - if you ever get permanent marker on the dry erase side, write over the perm w/ a dry erase pen and erase it. Clean w/ alcohol to remove any residue & dry.

Have you tried rubbing alcohol? That will sometimes work with marker on plastic, but I'm not sure how that would work on a porous surface. =0) It's worth a try, though. You might even be able to get it off with the clorox wipes/clorox anywhere.

C.,

Try WD40, that stuff works for just about everything.

I use a line of cleaning products that contain a high grade tea tree oil. I have been able to remove permanent marker from my dry erase board and my chalk board with no damage. If you're interested let me know. If you want to look on your own, make sure you get a grade high enough (at least T36-C5, the higher the T and the smaller the C the better) that it is considered non-caustic so it won't take the finish off the surface.

Regards,

www.squidoo.com/switchandsave

Have you tried alcohol? I wouldn't mind sending you some Sol-u-mel to try. It's made by Melaleuca and you can only by it from them directly, but it removes permanent marker from all kinds of surfaces, even clothes. Membership is required to purchase their products, so that's why I'm offering to send you some to try (free of charge, of course!)

NAIL polish remover,get sOME chalkboaD paint get a new board hide all permanent markers

Have you tried 'goof off' or 'goo gone' or whatever that stuff is called these days? LOL Good luck!

I would go with the nail polish remover, but be ware it may take the color off the chalkboard as well.

I used goo gone to get crayon off our blackboard and it worked great maybe it will work for marker?