How to Get Baby to Sleep Later than 5 Am?

Ihave a 10 month old son who is wonderful, healthy, and a good sleeper. We have agreat bedtime routine, and I just put him in his crib and he goes to sleep by himself every night around 7:30 or 8 pm (sometimes he crys for a minute or two, but never longer). He sleeps all through the night, which is great, as we had alot of problems with sleeping for the first eight months. The only problem is that he will wake up around 5 am, and we are not going to bed until 11 pm or 12 am, which still makes kind of a short night for us. I don't really want to go to bed much earlier as I really enjoy being able to watch a movie, make dinner, hang out, ect. and starting August, I will need to study as I am taking graduate classes. However, I don't know if we can put him to bed much later, even at 7 pm he is rubbing his eyes and getting cranky and tired. He takes two naps during the day, around 45 min-1 hr 15 min, and he is in daycare so I don't know if he could take more/longer naps than he already is. Does anyone know of a good way to get him to sleep a little later?

Ok he's probaly almost ready to get rid of his morning nap. I'd talk to daycare. At around one year in age at daycares they typically lose their morning naps.

Then they have their afternoon nap from 1-3 and with that he should last longer than 7pm which will get him sleeping in longer in the morning.

It takes a bit of adjustment but if you do this he should sleep longer for you.

If you need help or suggestions on getting rid of the morning nap just message me.

I've NEVER ever put my daughter to bed at 7pm it's always been 8 or 9 pm ish... sometimes later. If she happens to fall asleep at 7pm(long day or something) she wakes up at midnight as if she's done sleeping and wide awake or she's up at the crack of dawn. I can't deal with that, I need my sleep too.

That's what I did with my daughter and she has NEVER woken up before 7am if she hasn't had to. She has always slept in 8/9/10am it's great. She's been like that her whole life, she's 5 now and I haven't ever had to wake up early because my daughter was awake and ready to go so early. I guess I lucked out or my schedule works great.

Just wanted to tell you, I sympathsize. We're having the same problem with my 10 month old. Really sucks!

How about trying to get him to take only one nap during the day. My son takes one 2-3hr nap and goes to bed around 7:30-8:00. Also, is there any light or noise around that time? My husband usually gets up around 5:30...and once in a while, if he makes too much noise, our son gets up as he leaves for work. We also have a window in the hallway just outside his room and I noticed with the sun coming up earlier, it shines right into our son's room on his bed. Since my husband usually gets enough sleep (he's in bed at 9:30 while I am usually up until 12:00), he has started closing my son's door in the morning when he gets up and it has made a world of difference. Now I can sleep until at least 6:30-7:30 (whenever the little guy decides to get up). Hope this helps!!

Strangely enough, babies tend to sleep better when they are put to bed earlier. I don't think getting rid of one of the naps would be beneficial at this age. I would make bedtime at 7 and see what happens. DD went to bed at 7 for months and months and just in the last couple weeks has started going to bed at 7:30 or 8 and she's almost 20 months.

It has been said already but he needs more sleep not less. He is still just a little guy!

With the light change we started putting our daughter to bed later and she was getting up earlier. I realized what we were doing and got her back to going to bed earlier and she slept later. It seems crazy i know but it really does work. When my Daughter was 10 months old she went to bet at 7-8pm and woke around 9am and also took two 2 hr naps during the day.

Not all children are the same though so just keep trying different things until you figure out what is right for your family!

~A.

I would disagree about losing his morning nap--he's too young. I think it's the opposite; he's not getting enough sleep. Buy & read "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Weissbluth. My son is 17 months and we also struggled with a too early wake-up time. But, that's because he was going to bed at 6pm, so when he eventually started waking up too early, we did move his bedtime later. But, until then, he went to bed at 6-7pm until well after he was a year old. Good luck!

All I know it that somewhere between 10 and 12 months my daughter transitioned herself to 1 nap which is much longer than her two naps were (2.5-3.5 hours). She sleeps about 12 hours at night.
Every baby's different... They have a way of keeping us guessing :)

Put him to bed earlier! I know that it sounds crazy, but the more they sleep, the more they want to sleep. It has worked with both of my girls, with them sleeping for about 11-12 hours each night (7PM-6 or 7AM). Good luck!

If you are putting your 10 month old to bed between 7:30 and 8 p.m. I think it is crazy to expect him to sleep past 5 a.m., esp. if that is when he naturally wakes up. My 8 month old goes to bed at 8:30 p.m. and wakes around 6:00 a.m. I did notice with my twins who are 4 1/2 that the older they got the longer they slept at night. When they were 2 they slept 9 p.m. to 9 a.m. My sisters had the same experience. Your baby probably is getting enough sleep, but as he gets older he may sleep longer at night (but nap less during the day).

1 / 3