How to Find My 'Edge' in the Career World?

I'm looking for advice on how to find my 'edge'/ my passion in the career world. I come from IT background but I don't see myself going back to it (after 5 yrs SAHM) I want to make sure the field really light my fire. I took an Myers Brigg aptitude test and came back with some general ideas that don't seem really appealing (pilot: I'm terrified of heights, cop: I really don't want to go into enforcing law other than in myself LOL, management: I want to just have to get there starting at entry level)
How did you find your passion? Any ideas/ advice/ articles/ experiences that you can send my way are very much appreciated. I have a fire inside of me, I just don't know where to light it :)
And yes, I love being with my kids but it is a matter or need and a bit of want to go back and get a career.

welcome to adulthood :) how many of us wish we knew our "Passion"??

mine is my family.

i found a good job with people i care about who are GOOD people, and i ran with it. i LOVE my job. not because of what i do, but because i love my coworkers and supervisors, and i am proud of the job i do to support my family. doesn't have anything to do with the actual job.

To be honest, I kind of fell into my career. It wasn't a conscious choice. Now, that being said, I think that subconsciously, over the years I've made choices that have led me to this exact place.

Was there anything about your previous career that you enjoyed? From the career paths the Myers-Brigg suggested for you, I would gather that you're an independent go-getter? Just throwing ideas out, but what about hiring yourself out as a consultant in an IT-related field? For instance, I just went off on my own for the first time (after having worked for large companies my whole career). I hired a CPA to teach me Quickbooks (paid him $100/hr, and it was the best couple hundred dollars I've spent in a very long time!). This CPA is a "CFO for hire" in whatever capacity you need him - a friend of mine hires this guy to do his books from top to bottom every month - keep track of bills, pay the bills, balance the corporate checkbook. I am in a more hands-on field, so I hired this guy just to teach me how to do it myself, and serve as an hourly consultant when I need him. WHAT IF you did something like that, but with IT? When somebody like me gets a computer virus and doesn't know what to do, I could pick up the phone and call you. Or when I need to figure out how to get my printer onto my wireless network... or when I need to purchase new software and I need someone to research it for me. I think there is probably a call for consultants with specialized abilities like IT, accounting, HR, and the like. The benefit for you would be calling your own shots, being the boss, and having a flexible schedule. Obviously the downside is that working for yourself is somewhat unpredictable. If you're the type of person who can handle it, it may be a good avenue for you though. Just my thoughts!

Some of it might depend on whether or not you have a college education...you said you worked in IT, but do you have a degree...some jobs won't hire without one. I think you'd probably want to build on something you already know...even if the actual job is different...for instance maybe you could do marketing or sales for an IT firm.

Well, if you don't want to go back into the workforce as an IT constultant
as someone suggested, here are some totally different ideas.
Not sure what interests you or what pay scale you need but if you just
need to go back to work:
Management for a small office
Office Admin
X-ray Tech (16 mos of school w/6 mos of internship)
I always read the top 5 "open jobs" listed on the Yahoo articles.
Insurance (you need a license but you could always work in the office)

1 / 3