How to find good pair of first shoes for infant with wide feet

Now that my 11 month old son has learned to walk and doing well at it I want to buy him a pair of walking shoes to wear when he is outside. I want something that is stylish but not bulky, comfortable, and that will be easy for him to walk in. I have tried a few different shoes (no specific name brand) but have had a hard time getting them on him because he has pretty wide feet and if I did manage to get them on him he had a hard time walking in them because they were bulky and not at all flexible. Any suggestions on a good pair of first shoes for him? I am willing to spend the money to find him a good pair of shoes that are comfortable and that will help him get around.

Summary

Ideal first shoes for infant with wide feet, some moms suggested Robeez because they are a soft-soled shoe. But if the child is going outdoor, some parents went for brands like See Kai Run, Stride Rite, Pediped, etc. For first time parents, some suggested Nordstrom's is a great place to go for many reasons. First they are great with kids. They are also very helpful in finding the shoes that fit and can call around have them shipped to you or the store if you find one you like but it isn't there. Your child will have a great first time because they take a picture and will give them a gift. It is something they will remember for the rest of their lives.

Stride rites are great, as well as Crocs. They have a Croc's lookalike brand at walmart that velcro's over the feet so they stay on. I bought my daughter some and they were only $5. And they're easy to clean as well!

My guy has wide feet and Stride rite worked well for him. They have a variety of wides. New Balance does too. We also got him Robeez (they are made of soft leather and are great for early walkers.) He wore those a lot for the first few months and when it was wet or we were going to the park, he wore his stride rite tennis shoes. The combo of the two worked really well! Hope that helps. If you know what size to get and width Endless.com does free overnight shipping on shoes plus usually has them cheaper than the brand name sites. Saved us a few bucks!

I have to agree with krista. Everymom I've talked to is telling me striderights and/or crocs. My son just started walking so I'm researching the outdoor shoe thing too even though he's not quite ready yet.

My favorites for wide feet are stride rite, robeez tredz, and see kai run. All of them are very flexible with support for walking. You can get him sized at stride rite or nordstrom stores to make sure of the sizing! Once you get the correct size you can often find new shoes on ebay for cheaper than the stores. Good luck!

Nordstom has the best shoes for kids and they do a good job fiting the kids. Also they make a big deal about geting the first walking shoes. They take a picture and give the kid a stuffed animal. Nordstom also carries wide shoes. All my kids had wide feet then as they grew their feet thined out. I like stride rite shoes.
Lenci

K.,

We've gotten shoes for our little walkers at Payless Shoes. They do have wide sizes and the salespeople are willing to help you find what you need. They're not top of the line by any means, but they should last until your little one outgrows them.

Go to Nordstroms to have him fitted. They have a great return policy. They told me that if my child outgrows the shoe within 3 months they will take it back. Also after wearing new shoes all day, my friends daughter said they hurt her feet and Nordstroms took them back. Stride rite carries wide sizes. Robeez trendz, See Kai Run (I love these shoes), Pediped flex. Also try tinysoles.com.

Robeez (I think that's the name) are great. They're the soft leather shoes with elastic ankles.

We like See Kai Run, they're definitely on the expensive side ($36 for full-price) but they're super cute and approved by podiatrists for developing feet. At seekairun.com I got a pair on clearance for $26. We also have been able to find Stride Rite shoes that others have recommended at thrift stores for cheap (like $2 or $3)!

1 / 3