How to Elevate Crib/mattress Without Child Moving to Bottom of Crib

Every time my 1.5 yr old babe gets sick, the croup follows, then post-nasal drip coughing that lasts for weeks (disrupting nap & bedtime sleep in a big way). We do steaming, honey, cold air (when appropriate), humidifier, lots of liquids, soups, Vicks on feet... you get the point! :). We elevated the crib itself only for babe to end up at the bottom with more coughing & same thing happens when we elevate the mattress. Only way my child will sleep without coughing is with me because I can make sure of an elevated position. But I lose a ton of sleep that way and my child's sleep ends up poor as well. Wondering if anyone has a good idea on how to elevate w/out movement to bottom of crib. Thank you!!

I used to let my kids sleep in the car seat when they were sick since they would also roll or slide to the bottom of an elevated crib. When small I would just put the car seat in the crib, but later just the car seat on the floor in their room or next to my bed.

Use the swing or car-seat for baby to sleep in while sick. There's not a thing wrong with it.

I just used books under the legs of the bed. Scooting, shifting was not an issue. :)

have baby sleep in the swing....we did it for months as our youngest had reflux and sleep apnea

If she's scooting down too much, you'd have to put something on top of the mattress to prevent her from moving too far down. If you have a couple of large, somewhat firm pillows, or even couch cushions to put at her feet, that would block the bottom off and force her to stay on the elevated portion.

I've never tried this, but that's what came to me off the top of my head. I assume your baby is mobile enough that she wouldn't end up getting caught with her face against the cushion, but something to keep in mind just in case.

How old is your baby? If he or she is young enough, have the baby sleep in a car seat (the little bucket kind) or other seat. That's the only thing that worked for my youngest. He liked it so much he slept in his car seat more often than not until he was about 7 months old.

Maybe your elevating the crib too much? Just a few inches will give some relief. I put an unopened soup can under each leg on one end of the crib. Gave just enough elevation and never had a problem with the baby rolling down to the other end.

Put a wedge under the mattress - you should be able to find one at Babies R' Us...

Talk with your pediatrician...can you give her Benadryl to help dry her up? Or what?

You might be too much of one thing too....sorry - but sometimes Vicks, honey (many will say no to this at such a young age especially if it's not pasteurized) and cold air might be too much. Pick one thing and stick with it.

With my youngest, we had to let him sleep in his car seat. That was tough but it kept him elevated...my husband would bring the car seat inside, we would put it on the couch and strap him in...then I would sleep on the couch (we have a huge sectional) next to him....

poor kid!! hope he gets better soon!!

1 / 3