How to Discuss Puberty with 9 Year Old Girl

My daughter is about to turn 10 and is close to starting her period. She does not want to talk about it with me. Everytime I bring up a tid bit of information, I hear "mom". Is there a book that I could read that would guide me in how to discuss puberty and sexuality. I would like it with some scriptual guidance as well. Any advice?

Hi P.,
I got my daughter these books from the library "the period book" and "my body, my self for girls".

Ready, Set, Grow is an awesome book. Depending on her reading level she may be able to read it herself. Good luck!

I'd recommend the same books everyone else has for puberty. As for sex. We use the series God's Design for Sex. It is a 4 book series for ages 3-teen. I just read the 1st book to my kids ages 7, 7, 10 and the 2nd book to my 10 year old. Good luck!

My girls are not to that stage yet. But, I have heard of a wonderful resource I plan to use. It is a curriculum put out by Family Life Today (Christian radio/resource program) The idea is you take your daughter away for a weekend together where you can connect and go through the program. I remember being young and embarrassed, but I still needed my mom to be the one to tell me. Making it an event might make it easier. Here is a link to their program. Best of luck!
http://www.familylife.com/site/c.dnJHKLNnFoG/b.3955827/k....

Hi P.,

My daughter is ten and i went and got the american girl series-the care and keeping of girls. It explains puberty, how to groom a growing body, feelings, etc. We read it together everynight together. It was a great tool and a great experience for the two of us. I bought it at barnes and noble-you can also find it at target.

I agree with the other posts but would like to add:
Please try to keep open communication between you & your daughter. Don't make it a big deal, just talk freely about things that are not too embarrassing in a matter of fact sorta way. (If you are nervous & make it a big deal she might tend to be embarrassed.) The older she gets the more important it is that she know she can come to you with anything and that you will always be there for her.
Chances are her friends and her have talked about puberty etc & she thinks she knows stuff already.
Best of luck to you both.

You've received lots of great replies, but I wanted to throw you another option. I used the Passport to Purity book for my daughters. I think its either by Family Life or Focus on the Family (can't remember). It helps you set up a weekend getaway retreat for mother/daughter or father/son. It covers all topics and is biblically based. It was great and I have recommended it to a lot of friends.

When my now 12 year old was about 9 I went to LifeWay and got the My Beauty, My Body books. They were great!! Highly recommend. It is not so much a book that you read then discuss, but one you could read together of your daughter could read (as mine did) then discuss issues or questions. Good luck.

1 / 3