How to Deal with Small Splinters in Toddler Hands?

My 1 1/2 year old son has multiple small wood splinters in both of his hands after playing outside near some railroad ties in our garden last week. I did manage to remove the largest of them all, however there are several smaller ones still inside his little hands. They do not appear red or infected in any way at this point. Should I try to dig them out (not to easy to do) or will they just "grow out" and be fine? Any advice on removing them if you think I should go ahead and attempt that? Thanks!!

If you really want to get them out quickly and painlessly, we use a big piece of tape, like packing tape, press it on gently not so that it will stick and then pull it off. All the small splinters will pull right out.

K.,

This may seem like a strange thing to do, but it works on a lot of splinters. Elmer's glue! Dab a bit on the splinters and wait for it to dry, peel off in the direction that the splinter entered (if you know) and a lot of the time, they come out. The little splinters are a bit harder to do this with, but I know how wiggly kids are. And mine is terrified of being in pain, or at least she acts that way!

Good luck. I don't think the little tiny eety bity splinters are much to worry about. Maybe try a sugar or salt and soap exfoliant rub in a week. That would be fun?!

V.

The smaller ones will be fine if you leave them alone. If they are not hurting him, leave them. But if they are hurting him or getting infected, before you take them out apply numzit or oragel to the area first wait a min. then remove the sliver. A doctor told me it's basically what they use.

Just try to keep his hands clean to prevent infection. The splinters will eventually work themselves out. Try to avoid the splinters by giving your son special play gloves for playing in that area in the future.

Digging them out can be painful and is unnecessary the majority of the time. I have found that if you leave it alone it will work itself out. If it isn't red or swollen leave it alone. Especially if it is on the harder skin parts of the hands or feet, just best to leave it alone.
You can soak that area in warm water too to help it work itself out, you can try to gently squeeze that area, but don't dig it out as that can get infected that way.
Cover the area if it seems to be getting infected or red, put neosporin or something like that. Hee hee. My kids freak if I even suggest getting splinters out, typically in a few days it came out by itself.

I think you should try to remove them. After soaking in warm water (yeah and good luck they're so fidgety at this age) then you can try to push them out. Also putting elmers glue on them and letting it dry (if part of the splinter is exposed) and then peeling it off would work to get them too. Good luck. They will probably get infected and hurt if you leave them.

Our now almost two year old got a lot of splinters whenever we went to the family cabin last summer. The big ones we were able to get out, but the little ones we left. I felt that we would cause her more harm and distress by trying to dig them out. They eventually came out in baths or when I would wash her hands with a washcloth after her meals.

My first thought was to soak them in hydrogen peroxide. This will help with the possibility of infection and the bubbles may help workout the splinters and it doesn't hurt.

Have him play in warm soapy water for a while. sometimes they will soak out

1 / 3