How to Cut Costs on Cable/internet and Cell Phone Bills?

Due to a decrease in income, I am tryin gto come up with ways to cut our expenses. We currently have a package with ATT U-verse for tv and internet service. In addition our cell phones (I-Phone) are also serviced with ATT.

How do I lower these costs. I have looked at the cell phone and did drop my rate plan but that is only $8 a month. I can't cancel the service and save ($60 due to data plan) because there is a cancellation penalty due to contract.

As for the U-Verse, I have looked at lower priced categories of service but it doesn't appear to be lower in cost.

The one thing about U-Verse that I really like is the DVR ability since I am busy alot in the evenings.

Does anyone have any great suggestions as how to lower these items?

I thank you in advance!

****EDIT: I left out the fact that we do not have a landline at our house as someone mentioned in one of the responses all we ever got were telemarketers****

Thank you guys for all the wonderful advice. I am going to contact AT&T and talk to them about the cable/internet package and how they can help lower costs. As for the I-Phone, I have already lowered the minutes as much as I possibly can and I do have the family plan so I guess I will give it another month and see how it goes. Thanks again for all the responses!

I have almost the same setup as you: ATT Uverse for TV and Internet and ATT for cell with iPhone. For ATT Uverse, I only have the 100 channels (Family plan), no DVR and I just dropped one of the receivers in a bedroom (saving another $7/month). We don't watch much TV anyway, don't need to record anything because of that either. We spend time together, doing educational things, reading, games, activities, etc. For Internet, we don't download anything big, so a lower speed is fine. For cell phone, we just have the 350 min. package with 5000 on w/e's (plus the data plan) and that is plenty since we mostly call family and friends that are on ATT as well, so it's free. There are free text apps out there, so you shouldn't need to pay additional for text (use Yahoo - it's free or email). I hope this helps.

I know that my response is probably odd but, have you ever considered getting rid of your cable completly? We got rid of our cable a while ago, and yes it sounds barbaric, but its great. We can rent a movie or the kids and get a movie, we aren't vegging out in front of it anymore and we are spending more time doing productive things. I don't think your teenagers will like it but they will adjust. There is so much garbage on the tv these days, when I watch it know I am shocked. Also you can watch things online from ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, and my husband can watch sports online as well, so if there is a show that you love then you can watch the whole episode for free online, you just have to wait a day so if its on Wednesday nights you can watch it Thursday.
As far as the cell phones because of those stupid fees it might be worth it to keep it, or call and see if you can downgrade to a lesser plan. My husband and I got the cheapest land line from ATT and then we use Google Voice and it allows us to call anywhere in the US for free we get voicemail, texting, and you can screen your calls, its on your computer so you can read your voicemail. Its really awesome and its totally free. We give out the google voice number to everyone so that way if we get a call that doesn't have the google voice prompt we hang up cause we dont want to talk to anyone who doesn't have the google voice number. We have prepaid phones for emergencies only. I know that with a teenager I would want to be able to call them when ever I wanted so that might not be a good option for you
I hope this helps....

Have you checked the ATT website to see if there are any bundling specials going on? I've had a bundle package with my cable for a year. I just checked and they have a special going on that's $20 cheaper. I called and they said sure!

Do you have any bonus channels like HBO or Shotime that are extra on the bill? You could cancel those without a penalty.

I would drop the cable and home phone service. You don't really "need" cable if you are struggling financially.

We haven't had cable for over eight years now. Thanks to the internet and all the online television websites we don't miss it at all. We hooked up a laptop to the television. We save money. And our kids are limited to network tv, so they are less tempted to veg out on television all day. My husband and I can watch things whenever we want online. We might have to wait until a day after it airs, but we have always been able to keep up on cable shows we have interest in.

IF you call ATT uverse and let them know you need to lower your plan so you dont have to cut off your service they will get you a better rate. I was paying $89 for U450 over 600 channels all movie channels, the highest internet (5 diff speeds) and then the phone. I was not paying for extra boxes either. But I just dropped the phone service because I didn't need and they are only charging me $60!!!! For the other two.. And I have 3 recievers... Just call and let them know. I have a Iphone and I know what you mean. I have only 450 min and pay $102 a mo since texting and internet. But I text over 5000 a mo so I dont have to use my min as much. I dropped down from the 900 plan. Are you on a family plan.. .That saves $ ALso sign up for the circle of friends you would get 10 numbers that are not att that you can call and not count towards minutes.

I am not sure about U-verse, but I know we saved about $140 a month by downgrading our internet and cable services. We dropped from high-speed internet to what they call 'economy' internet. We don't download movies or music or anything, so the economy internet is perfect for us. We also when from 'standard cable' to 'basic cable' and it works for us. Like I said, we saved about $140 a month by these two changes.

Drop the cable.
We havn't had cable in 8 years. With an internet connection you can watch ANYTHING that is on tv thru the channels web site or other web sites like Hulu for FREE... And that also cuts out the DVR since you don't have to record it... Its just there all the time.

Look at the phone and cell thing logically. Yes, you will have a penalty for dropping certain costs on the cell. But after taking that ONE penalty you then free up the $ your not paying on it.

If you really want to save $ then turn off the cells and get a prepaid plan. Then use it as an emergency ONLY phone. I have an ATT go phone. $3.- a day for unlimited calls ON THE DAYS I USE IT... Or turn off the house phone and use the cell as your main line...

Really the only way the major companies will allow you to "save" money is to turn it off.
We go without internet for about a month once a year so we can qualify for the "newest and best" deals for the rest of the year. :-)

I know you didnt ask about this, but have you compared car insurance rates? we saved a ton switching ins. companys.

1 / 3