How to cure itchy head after cradle cap on infant?

I hope someone can help/or have experience with this. My 9 month old son had cradle cap as a baby that went away somewhat on his own (with help from me picking of course). Well for the past 5 months his head itches sooo bad that he scratches all day but most intense at night. For this reason he scratches himself awake every 3 hours at night (draining me!). I have seen 2 doctors and a dermatologist and all they keep giving me is steroid and pseudo-steroid creams that do not work and I refuse to keep using. I have tried olive oil, jojoba oil, eucerin, aquaphor, etc all to no avail. The latest dr told me to use good ol' Selson Blue but that still didnt stop the itching/scratching. Anyone else have this issue and/or solution?

Summary

Some moms suggested that there are a few things to try: This could possibly be an allergy to milk. Try eliminating milk for two weeks. Also, try clothes detergent that is free of perfume. If it didn't work, take your child to a pediatric allergist.

Dear N.,
I have very sinsitive skin. I have tried all the things you have mentioned for itching scalp. The one I have used for years is MEDIDAN. I get it at Sallys . It last for a long time. The bottle is big and it only takes a small amount. Read all the writing on the bottle. You cannot leave out around children. Ask you Doctor if you can use it. I have used it for about eleven years without any side effects.
MK

If you don't find anything that gets rid of it, start looking at possible food allergies. Skin issues are most often associated with that.

I don't have experience with a baby ... but personally, my scalp itched...and even my knees itched/scabbed (from crawling on the floor with my kids). My dermatologist recommended Derma-Smooth scalp oil. It really helped...even my knees do not itch any more. After I got my scalp under control, the Derm mentioned I could used Selson Blue (or Head and Shoulders) as an alternate so I didn't have to order so much medicine (derma-smoothe). Sounds like you need to get the itching under control before the SB will work (and actually, you may not need it). Can you inquire whether Derma-Smooth is ok for babies? It has a steroid in it. My derm had samples of it, so it was great to try before you buy. For my babie's mild eczema on her body, we used aquaphor and Aveeno creamy wash.

Have you been to an allergist? Maybe he's allergic to something that he's eating or that is in the house. Try clothes detergent that is free of perfume. Cut out milk/cheese. There are some fruits/veggies that kids are allergic to. Just a though.

Dear N.,
MK

When my grandaughter was 4 months old we were visiting my oldest daughter in Conneticut and her neighbors' son had cradle cap and told us about Gentle Naturals Cradle Cap Care(you might have already tried it) they had used on their son. It got rid of the Cradle cap & itching in a weeks time. We found it at Walgreens but it is probable available other places. We used it on my grandaughter and she has not had any problems with her head itching since but it took longer than a week. But now we are battling Eczema.

Don't listen to the doctors on this issue.

For my kids I only use Arbonne Baby Care line. That eliminates the need for rectifying treatments, because with it they don't get the cradle cap or itchy skin anymore.

However, when they do get a hold of normal shampoo, I massage the Arbonne baby oil onto their scalp before bed and wash their hair in the morning with Arbonne Baby Hair and Body Wash. That takes care of it no worries. When they get any eczema patches on their body, I just use the Arbonne Diaper Cream.

That'll do it! (I should sell this stuff, I recommend it so much!!)

God bless,
~A.

My daughter had the same problem. My solution that worked for me was old fashion Johnson & Johnson's baby oil. I'd rub it on her head, thick layer, massage it in and then I'd put a cap on her and let her sit for an hour. The baby oil loosens the cradle cap, then I'd take a baby brush (the one with the super soft bristles)and rub or scratch her head with it. I would go in circles until the cradle cap was gone. Caution not to rub to long in any one spot because it will bruise her head. Plus the oil stops the itching from the dry scalp. It's like a conditioner however her hair will be a tad bit greasy for a day or two or until you wash it with some adult shampoo. Hope this helps.

Sounds like an allergy of some kind. We've been very happy with Dr. Homoky at acmhealthsolutions.com. He's successfully treated my hayfever/mold allergies and now he's working with my kids on food allergies. It's accupressure and I was very sceptical at first, but when it worked I became a convert. It is a little bit of an investment, but to avoid all the steriod cremes on a baby would be worth it in my book. Plus, he could tell you what your son is allergic too. It's just about $45 for a visit, including the initial visit where he will figure out what your son is allergic to. G

Dear N.,
I have some Pure, Safe and Natural baby products from Arbonne that I would be happy to let you use for a week. If they work and you like them, then you can buy them but we will make sure they give you the results you need first. I can drop them off to you tomorrow afternoon if you are close to me. I live in Argyle. If you are not close, I will put them in the mail to you. Let me know if you would like to try them. Arbonne has a fantastic Baby care line that has no animal products, by products and no harmful chemicals.
I hope you will try them for the baby's sake and your sanity!
K. Parker
###-###-####

Hi N., Just a few things to try: This could possibly be an allergy to milk. Try eliminating milk for two weeks. In my opinon the steriods will not help at all, why do they still prescribe these (grrr). I had eczema for many years and it went away mostly after eliminating milk. I use a natural cream to help when I do have flare ups (have not given up ice cream entirely :) I do sell it so understand if you don't want to try but I would be happy to send you a sample. You may also want to switch your current shampoo as this could be a culprit. Some brands contain chemicals that can be irritating. Check out this link: http://www.cosmeticdatabase.com/product.php?prod_id=147083

p.s. I am currently mad at my man right now too! Is there something in the air? haha

1 / 3