How to Clean/remove Box/wood Smell?

Hello Moms. My husband bought me a new drawer set....the room still smells like the box/wood smell. I am 2 months pregnant and the smell triggers my morning sickness. Terrible. He also put my clothes in the drawers and I'm a little upset because I know they will smell like the dressers. Can any Moms out there suggest any cleaning ideas? Thank you in advance!!!!!

I have the same problem with my dresser. I have heard of a product called Nok-Out that should definitely take care of it. Come to think of it, I think I will get some too. You might have to find it online. The bottom of this reply contains the website with a good price. Here's the description from Nokout.com's website: Eliminate all odors and disinfect completely with the revolutionary magic of Nok-Out! This EPA Registered disinfectant solution is completely non-toxic and biodegradable. it is safe for humans, animals and the environment. Not only is Nok-Out a miracle for odor removal, it is also categorized as a mildicide, bacteriacide, and powerful viricide. Nok-Out offers a lot of cleaning power contained within one solution.

http://www.jrsmedical.com/OSTOMY/CLEANERS_DEODORANTS/DEN5...

Hope this helps. L.

Try sachets of dry lavender in the drawers, good luck!

Hi there,
I used orange oil on the outside of the dressers, the real stuff, not the stuff in grocery stores. I got it at home depot or the oak furniture store. For the inside I lined the drawer with shelf liner and left the backing on, then i put softener sheets underneath the liner to make the drawer not smell like wood anymore.
W. M.

Oh what a shame. We usually think of the new furniture smell as wonderful and enjoy it because it reminds us of the nice new furnishings we have.(And the $$$ we spent). We bought a new car when I was pregnant with our 2nd child and the new car smell made me so sick, after the first week I ended up sending my husband to work in our cute little station wagon and I kept the big 4x4 truck for all my errands and taking our 6 yr old to school. Years later we went on vacation and rented a car. It turned out to be the same make as that new car had been and the instant I got in, I was sick all over a gain! So, if it's making you sick, you may never like the piece so you better find a way to air it out well and lose that scent fast. Take it outside, take the drawers out, let it sit in fresh air. I'd suggest you have your husband or friend vacumn the drawers out to remove any left over dust from building. Don't wipe with a wet cloth as water will bring up the grain and release more wood smell if it isn't sealed well. Baking soda is a good suggestion as are sachets or baby powder. You are probably just over "scentsitive" right now and it is possible no one else even smells it. But I sure can relate to your problem. I still can't stand the smell of new Nissan Sentra cars, but other new cars are great!!(and it's been 26 years) best of luck!

Your furniture is off-gassing - it should fade within about 2 weeks - unless it's particle board or melamine not wood.
Take your clothes out of the drawers & open the drawers so tha air can circulate and leave the windows open in the room. Also put a little baking soda in small cups in each drawer to help soak up the smell. also wiping out the drawers with a damp cloth to remove sawdust etc. from the factory will keep your clothes clean. You can get scented or unscented paper drawer liners at a linen store or better dept. store like Macys to improve the smell too.

How sweet that your husband did all that for you! What a shame the smell is making you sick...
Open the windows, use fans, baking soda boxes (like for the fridge). Also if you don't have plants, buy some and put them in the room---not many people know this, but plants not only take in the carbon dioxide in the air, but they also take in other chemicals, including some that are toxic. For real---scientists did studies, different plants absorb different chemicals. I used to study horticulture, and I had a book about it, with charts and everything...
Anyway, I think plants would help clean the vapors for you.

Hope this helps. L.

Hm, unfortunately it usually takes time for that smell to go away. Try a couple of things; A. rinse and dry with a little vineager. B. Get some sachets that you don't mind the smell of, something like vanilla or lavender maybe.
Be easy on the guy, I am sure he is doing his best to please you. =)

This reminds me of when I was super sensitive to smells during my pregnancies.
I would have your husband try to air out the furniture in the sun if at all possible or let it air out. I certainly wouldn't put anything damp on it at all because that will just add more moisture which needs to dry. This might sound strange, but put charcoal briquettes in an unopened ziploc in each drawer. 2 or 3 a drawer is fine but be sure the sides are folded down and the bag can get air. The charcoal will absorb any moisture and odors. I prefer this to baking soda...less messy.

Best of luck and wishes!

1 / 3