How to Clean My Babies Pacifier

I was told that the way to clean my sons pacifier is in bleach water i was wondering if that has ever been heard of i never heard that what are some other ways to clean it?

Medela makes these great steam sterilizing bags that you can microwave - they are good for bottles, breast pump parts, and pacifiers. You can get them at Target and they are very inexpensive. You can also sterilize pacifiers in boiling water.

Running the pacifier through the dishwasher is sufficient.
No need to boil, etc. Boiling diminishes the life of the pacifier I have found. Water collects in the nipple with boiling. Best is to have more then one pacifier. This way you will have one handy when the other is in the dishwasher. Also if one gets lost (and we have lost plenty) it won't be a stressful situation.

This must be your first baby!! Soap and water always worked for us. On your second baby, rinsing it with water, wiping it on your jeans, and sticking back in the baby's mouth will be routine!

I wash in hot water daily, then dishwasher or microwave sterilizer once a week...

Hello M.: I have 5 children, have raised several foster children and the grandmother of some real cuties. Almost all have used pacifiers. I am concerned that someone would suggest bleach as it can be harmful to children and their tender mouths,&taste buds.
Honestly this is the first time I have ever heard of using bleach on a pacifer or anything else that goes in a childs mouth. I have always heated water not to boiling but close and then after using soap and water,rinse then let them sit in the heated water until it cools.
My daughter in law said her pedi doctor told her to just put them in the dishwasher along with the bottle nipples.
At some point you will be more relaxed about these things. I am grateful that you contacted Mama Source, this is a great resource for you to use. Good Luck, Nana G

Boil it!!! LOL - I would not put something in my childs mouth that had been in bleach.....

The nurses at the hospital told me to wash them in hot, soapy water or to put them in the upper area of the dishwasher. I don't think the bleach water is necessary. I also got pacifier cleaning pads as a gift from a friend - it is food-grade material on a cleaning pad. I'm sure they have them at Babies-R-Us, etc.

Hi there M....I am both a Mom and a Grandma....My daughter is 23 and my son is 21...my grandaughter is 11 months...and the cutest little ball of energy you have ever seen...I found that putting the pacifiers in the dishwasher is a very good way to clean and sanitize them. They even have special baskets you can put the pacifiers and nipples for the bottles in...I used this trick when my kids were babies and my daughter has used the same technique for her little girl....Yes I have heard about the bleach...You can also add a tablespoon of bleach to the dishwasher and it helps during the cold and flu season too...hope this helps....I wouldn't use the bleach on the babies bottles or pacifiers though.

Soap and water...that is what you use on your forks and spoons and cups. Those go in your mouth just like a pacifier.

1 / 3